+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluegill Mortality Rate.

Hybrid View

Default Bluegill Mortality Rate.

This AM I caught the tail end of a fishing show and the host was discussing the mortality rate of bluegills. I was not able to put down the exact numbers he stated but I believe these are fairly close:

1. A group of gills that were caught on bait and immediately placed in a holding pen had a mortality rate of 6.2 percent.

2. A group of gills caught on artificials and placed in a like holding pen had a mortality rate of zero.

3. Fish kept in a live well suffered an increase in mortality rate the longer they were kept in the live well.

4. Fish kept in a wire bucket suffered a mortality rate of 32%.

The host recommened that anglers take these figures into consideration if they are considering holding caught fish for later release (culling).

Tim

NewTyer 1 Guest

So it looks as if number 2 would be the ideal way to cull. I guess it has to do a lot with how deep the fish takes the hook and then how much stress he suffers after the hook is taken out. Good post

Certainly I an speak only for the SE, but down here mortality rate for bluegill is not usually a problem; a more common problem is over population and a stunt population with lot of small fish. B.A.S.S. has done such a good job of selling C&R in lakes with sunfish, particularly bluegills and more so crappie, not enough fish are taken to maintain a healthy population.

Fish placed in wire baskets are usually released into hot oil.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I smash all the barbs down as many get nicked in the gills region and suffers plus it easier to get it out when they get deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Very funny!

Blog Entries

That's why he has a quote from a guy whose nickname was "Vinegar".

Ed

I can tell you for a fact that the mortality rate of these was 100%! Caught saturday, table fare sunday.

The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Certainly I an speak only for the SE, but down here mortality rate for bluegill is not usually a problem; a more common problem is over population and a stunt population with lot of small fish. B.A.S.S. has done such a good job of selling C&R in lakes with sunfish, particularly bluegills and more so crappie, not enough fish are taken to maintain a healthy population.

Exactly but in keeping with that fine tradition we oft times decimate the populations of "desired," Bluegills and in turn this upsets natures balance. Research shows that the big fish across their range (i.e. from north to south) can be fished out easily, as with any fishery, and this, in turn, causes problems and the result is stunting and overpopulation of these tiddlers, especially in smaller ponds and lakes. With these fish, keep the small and medium ones, and leave a good bunch of the bigger ones for breeding stock. Should you have too many tiddlers already in your pond, add a Flathead catfish of respectable size (12 lbs or so) and this will help a lot as they love those small fish....
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

In 45 years of fishing, I have never seen, or even heard of any population of bluegills being decimated from fishing (except maybe small, closed stock ponds). Bluegills could teach rabbits how to breed more efficiently. The problem with gills is usually over-population.

Any 'gils' I catch will have a 100% mortality rate, because they will be released into my skillet, deep-fryer, or freezer. I do my best to keep them from over-populating.

I am surprised the subject even came up on a fishing show. I mean, we're talking about bluegills, not brown trout, or salmon. Most of the fishing shows I've ever seen were more interested in trying to sell you a bunch of ridiculously over-priced Bass Tournament gear.

One of the nice things about 'gils' (besides being delicious) is that you really don't have to worry about limits. Most places I have fished have very generous creel limits....usually way more than you want to fillet at one time.

Vive le sunfish!

I wonder what the water temperature as when they did this testing.
    I would guess that cold water and real warm water would effect the fish more.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread