+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How 'bout things you wish someone would have told you when you were starting out?

Automatic bobbin by Nor Vise.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi All,

One more vote for only buy material for patterns you plan to tie in the VERY near future.

You've all heard the old joke about the guy plowing with a mule that hit the mule in the head with a big stick before telling the mule to whoa. Well, I think I'm not much different from the mule. I am not sure that extremely good advise would have taken hold without the big stick.

At any rate, that is the single most important piece of advise that I wish I had learned....may still need to learn it from time to time, but at least am slowly improving in that area.

Regards,

Gandolf

the way the fly looks in the vise is the way it will look in the water.
    They don't compress due "water pressure"
    Wild, overdressed flies will always look that way

Don-King-Hair-Record--571.jpg
    Last edited by dudley; 02-28-2012 at 01:44 AM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

1. As others have already said, I wish someone had convinced me at the beginning I didn't need all the materials in the shop........and

2. Tie the same pattern until you have it right. Trying to tie a couple of every FOTW then moving to the next recipe does not make one a better - or even a good tyer.

3. Don't be afraid to break the thread - it the only way to learn to build tight flies!

The first 2 lessons have been learned and forgotten frequently in my house!

Cliff

I wish someone would have told me,"Your non-flyfishing friends will no longer talk to you." Not that this would have made any difference.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

This is a kudos to John Scott - I finally re-read his instructions for "ol' rubberlegs" - he told us, but I didn't listen. When tying in rubberlegs, run your thread up a little bit and get the legs angled back before you wind the chenille up over them. Mine always stuck out, now they are angled back! Probably catch all kinds more fish.

Some fly tying materials darken when wet or when coated with fly floatant. Check for color change before buying add tying a lot of flies.

When you find a material you like buy extra. It could be discontinued and dye lots change.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread