+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted saltwater flies

NewTyer 1 Guest

Default Wanted saltwater flies

I am just getting into saltwater fly fishing and will be targeting Stripers and Bluefish but will also try other species as time goes on. I would like to have a saltwater fly box by Summer and need to buy some flies but would rather buy from a forum member who ties rather than some big chain store. Curious as to whether anyone would be interested in tying up some flies for me and how much they would charge per fly of various styles and size.

Hi NewTyer
    Even a new tyer can tie the Brook's Blonde. It's nothing more than a bucktail tail, a wrapped body (I use Christmas tinsel) and a bucktail wing. I like to tie mine sparse to imitate a sandeel shape and a favorite color combo is olive over yellow over white

kantner_7.jpg

After that move on to the other SW essentials. Lefty's deceiver and the Clouser deep minnow. Then add a top water like the Tabory snakefly. With those 4 you'll be ready for anything, top, midwater, and deep. Thin profile to thick
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have not fished in the salt for close to 2 years, I prefer to fish more for trout now. With that being said I have 250 or so saltwater flies. Most of these were bought in shops and shows. I fished 90% of the time for stripers and blues on the CT shoreline. Many of these flies were over $5 when purchased and a lot are from Lou Tabory and Page Rogers, well know saltwater tyers. I will sell them all to you for $2 each. If your interested PM me and I'll shoot you some photos, I'll include the Orvis floating boxes for free!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Ray, PM sent

White or Chart/White clousers will cover most of your needs if you want to tie your own.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would love to tie my own but, I don't have the materials I need like, hooks, body materials or barbell eyes.

I'll put some in the mail for you. Wish I knew before I sent you your glass fish.

NewTyer 1 Guest

fish came in today, awsome job. reel will be in the mail tomorrow

Blog Entries

Hey NewTyer,

If there are other flies to find yourself desiring, let me know and I would love to to tie some up for you. I love to tie saltwater flies but I don't have much use for them since I live in Iowa. I wouldn't charge anything (except for maybe a picture of the fishes you catch on them!) I just like tying and knowing the flies will get used.
    With that said, I can't promise I'll send you more than a dozen or so, but I like the challenge of new patterns, so let me know!

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread