good logical response. *streams I normally fish I wouldn't bother throwing a streamer (not that it wouldn't be effective). *part of what I like about small stream fishing is tossing dries to hungry eager fish. *subsurface fishing is something I consider impractical because yer snagging all the time and that gets tiresome to me. *plus I'm a dry fly snob.

anyways, yer rod is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
Well which would be the better option really depends on the situation. If your fishing small flies or there's a hatch of size 20 BWO's then obviously a 3wt would be a better option. But what this rod does is fills a gap where your fishing a tiny stream with overhanging brush (hence a shorter length is better) yet still want to fish larger flies such as small to medium size streamer like a size 6 leech or a size 8 Zonker...a fly size that is a bit "too much" on a 3wt rod. That's where the short rod being a 5wt comes in handy. Perfect example is a stream I have near where I live. It averages about 10-15ft wide at the most, most of it is "tunnel fishing" (overhanging tag alders) and it dosen't get much in the way of hatches so usually small streamers produce best. That's where a short rod in a line wt that can handle a streamer will be a good choice for that stream.

Steve