+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small stream 5ft 5wt 2pc

Hybrid View

Default Small stream 5ft 5wt 2pc

Rod #3 done for the expo. This one is one I have been experimenting with for the past couple months because I have had some customers that like to fish very tiny streams and they have problems finding anything but 1-3wt rods in very short lengths. So this is one I have been working on and have finally come up with a good casting rod for just such streams. This one is a 5ft 5wt 2pc with anodized aluminum seat, full wells grip with Jadewood ends coated in Threadmaster. Wraps are Medium brown (no CP) and metallic silver trim.

Steve

NewTyer 1 Guest

Now that is one sweet rod. Shortest I had been able to find was 5'9" 4wt. Good job

tell me why that short five wt is a better option than say, a 3pc cane 6ft rod for a 3wt line.

tell me why that short five wt is a better option than say, a 3pc cane 6ft rod for a 3wt line.
    Well which would be the better option really depends on the situation. If your fishing small flies or there's a hatch of size 20 BWO's then obviously a 3wt would be a better option. But what this rod does is fills a gap where your fishing a tiny stream with overhanging brush (hence a shorter length is better) yet still want to fish larger flies such as small to medium size streamer like a size 6 leech or a size 8 Zonker...a fly size that is a bit "too much" on a 3wt rod. That's where the short rod being a 5wt comes in handy. Perfect example is a stream I have near where I live. It averages about 10-15ft wide at the most, most of it is "tunnel fishing" (overhanging tag alders) and it dosen't get much in the way of hatches so usually small streamers produce best. That's where a short rod in a line wt that can handle a streamer will be a good choice for that stream.

Steve

OK I'll bite. who's blank? I've been looking for a short/small stream rod almost like that. best I can find is a 6'6" 4 wt.
    I'm kicking myself that i sold my 6' 5 wt Fenwick a few years ago.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Blog Entries

Sevier has a 6' 4/5 tiger eye. I am building one soon if you want a report. Steve, is that a spinning blank? Beautiful with the wood on the grip, blank color and thread color going together.

good logical response. *streams I normally fish I wouldn't bother throwing a streamer (not that it wouldn't be effective). *part of what I like about small stream fishing is tossing dries to hungry eager fish. *subsurface fishing is something I consider impractical because yer snagging all the time and that gets tiresome to me. *plus I'm a dry fly snob.

anyways, yer rod is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
    Well which would be the better option really depends on the situation. If your fishing small flies or there's a hatch of size 20 BWO's then obviously a 3wt would be a better option. But what this rod does is fills a gap where your fishing a tiny stream with overhanging brush (hence a shorter length is better) yet still want to fish larger flies such as small to medium size streamer like a size 6 leech or a size 8 Zonker...a fly size that is a bit "too much" on a 3wt rod. That's where the short rod being a 5wt comes in handy. Perfect example is a stream I have near where I live. It averages about 10-15ft wide at the most, most of it is "tunnel fishing" (overhanging tag alders) and it dosen't get much in the way of hatches so usually small streamers produce best. That's where a short rod in a line wt that can handle a streamer will be a good choice for that stream.

Steve

Thanks mr.blur...like I said just all depends on the situation more than anything. I'm kind'a like you...I like dries no matter what...but, when streamers work, I'll go therre

+ Reply to Thread