+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions of EZ rotary vise?

Default Opinions of EZ rotary vise?

Has anyone here used or own the EZ rotary vise? I'm looking for a budget vise and I see Hook & Hackle has them in their lineup. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I bought and used one ! It is an adequate rotary vise. A knock off of the older style Renzetti traveler with the two screw jaw adjustment. I found it usable, but not as polished as the Renzetti in the fit and finish department. I would say, it is usable as a back up or second vice, but you can get a Danvise for only a few bucks more and it is a much much better vice.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I bought one several years ago. A decent vise but it is made of soft steel and I had trouble with stripping the threads on the tightening screw. I replaced it with a screw from the hardware store but I imagine the internal threads will eventually strip also.

I have been tying my bass flies on one for about 2 plus years now and I am very satisfied with the E-Z vise. I've tied LOTS of flies on it, using hooks from size 14 down to 3/0 with zero problems. I have a Regal with Midge jaws that I tie trout sized flies on, but I have zero complaints with my E-Z vise. Mine was money well spent.
    Mark 1:17

Haven't used the EZ but believe the Mayfly rotary vise may be a tad better. Here is a review on another site....buy direct from Fred and ask for free shipping...

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tary-vise.html

That is somewhat similar to the Terra vise (Jann's Netcraft or Bass Pro) which I hav used for a few years now. I was not happy with the the drag on the rotary with all tension off so I took out the plastic bushing that cam with the vise and manufactured a nylon bushing to replace it and I added a "crank" handle. You may need to tweak the EZ to get it to compare with more expensive vises. In reality I don't use the rotary feature that much, but it is nice when you want it. I have vise lust for the Anvil Apex, MSRP $99.95.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Well, after doing a lot of reading today I placed an order with H&H for the E-Z. I read a lot about the Danvise and I've played at one before, and while it has a lot of good things going for it, I didn't like the bulk so close to the fly. I am a casual tier, probably 150 to 300 flies a year, and I've been using the same cheap vise for about 12 years and I just can't cope with the flies constantly slipping anymore. I'm thinking this will suit my needs and I can afford it right now. With the oldest boy still in college and my wife being off work for possibly the next three months coupled with the medical costs she is building up, I'm in no position to spend much more.

Thanks for the input.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Had one for years and use it for large saltwater flies.

+ Reply to Thread