+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions of EZ rotary vise?

Hybrid View

Default Opinions of EZ rotary vise?

Has anyone here used or own the EZ rotary vise? I'm looking for a budget vise and I see Hook & Hackle has them in their lineup. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I bought and used one ! It is an adequate rotary vise. A knock off of the older style Renzetti traveler with the two screw jaw adjustment. I found it usable, but not as polished as the Renzetti in the fit and finish department. I would say, it is usable as a back up or second vice, but you can get a Danvise for only a few bucks more and it is a much much better vice.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I bought one several years ago. A decent vise but it is made of soft steel and I had trouble with stripping the threads on the tightening screw. I replaced it with a screw from the hardware store but I imagine the internal threads will eventually strip also.

I have been tying my bass flies on one for about 2 plus years now and I am very satisfied with the E-Z vise. I've tied LOTS of flies on it, using hooks from size 14 down to 3/0 with zero problems. I have a Regal with Midge jaws that I tie trout sized flies on, but I have zero complaints with my E-Z vise. Mine was money well spent.
    Mark 1:17

Haven't used the EZ but believe the Mayfly rotary vise may be a tad better. Here is a review on another site....buy direct from Fred and ask for free shipping...

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tary-vise.html

That is somewhat similar to the Terra vise (Jann's Netcraft or Bass Pro) which I hav used for a few years now. I was not happy with the the drag on the rotary with all tension off so I took out the plastic bushing that cam with the vise and manufactured a nylon bushing to replace it and I added a "crank" handle. You may need to tweak the EZ to get it to compare with more expensive vises. In reality I don't use the rotary feature that much, but it is nice when you want it. I have vise lust for the Anvil Apex, MSRP $99.95.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread