+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable fishing kayaks

But see Gig, you just answered a great question there...YOU are the determining factor for the white water. NFO says their boats are class V rated, and as you mentioned, under the right controller, they are. Not everyone can do a class V, but I do think the right person can pretty much float it with many different boats.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

That's probably it. I just go through whitewater to get to the other side, and I take the easiest way through. I don't play in the swells and whirlpools, or anything like that. For me, it's just a way to go downriver, and fish. Paddling back upriver to go home, I portage around the whitewater sections, and paddle through the back current and eddies. Portaging will really make you appreciate inflatables.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    But see Gig, you just answered a great question there...YOU are the determining factor for the white water. NFO says their boats are class V rated, and as you mentioned, under the right controller, they are. Not everyone can do a class V, but I do think the right person can pretty much float it with many different boats.

HEAY! New kid on the block! Sort of. The Escalade was out 1999, but here is the new and improved version:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/201...navigator.html

19 lbs!!!!!

Seems a bit over-priced, but it is rated for Class V water, so it's probably OK. I'm not crazy about the "rack and pinion oar system". Double blade paddles are the way to go, especially in rivers.

Fished the upper Ocoee in my Advanced Elements last week, and I think the fish were drier than I was at the end. 4 nice rainbows and 2 mean browns, destined for the skillet. Almost all were caught just downstream of Class IV-V water.

They should make this a new sport....Extreme River Fishing. It could be right up there with Full-Contact Golf

HEAY! New kid on the block! Sort of. The Escalade was out 1999, but here is the new and improved version:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/201...navigator.html

19 lbs!!!!!

The oar system is the same as Water Master and Water Strider and no complaints there. I do have those oars. Have not tried them on a river, but I love them on stillwater. Light as heck and like a graphite golf club, has give to it and sling shots through the water using less effort. I can row all day with these.
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 03-14-2012 at 12:48 AM.

I called Pelican International and asked them how they rate boats. They said that what determines the ratings is the material and construction of the boat. Some of the polymers have flex in them, like RAMX, and Royalex. This makes them almost indestructible, BUT......if you were to become trapped between two rocks in Class V water, the boat would bend, trapping you in it, and possibly cutting you in half. Even though most boats have extra internal bracing to prevent this, according to the regs, they still have to rate it as Class III and under. I have never had a RAMX collapse on me (but I am also careful not to get trapped on rocks...). Whitewater hard-shell boats are much stiffer, and will break in two before they bend enough to trap you.

They were at a loss as to why some inflatables were rated at less than Class V, because they handle whitewater much better than hard-shell boats. They speculated that it may be due to some obscure bureaucratic regulation that has been misinterpreted.

Rowing is fine, if you like it. Everyone doesn't have to go through world-class rapids to fish. Unfortunately, where I live, I am stuck with it. There are few places to fish here that do not involve the risk of fast, dangerous water, and/or long hikes. Even wading can be dangerous around here if you don't pay attention. That's why they had the Olympic Whitewater Competitions here. It's also where they filmed the movie "Deliverance".

I loved rowing when I live on Lake Texoma. I had a really nice dinghy, with a rudder, sail mast, and the works. I rowed it most of the time. I just don't think you'd survive very long trying to row in the rivers and streams around here. There are few people who even try to use canoes (but there are some very insane people who do use rafts...which is simply an uncontrolled free-fall through the rapids, hoping you survive at the end...the main skill required is an ability to hang on very tight......).

The oar system is the same as Water Master and Water Strider and no complaints there. I do have those oars. Have not tried them on a river, but I love them on stillwater. Light as heck and like a graphite gold club, has give to it and sking shots through the water using less effort. I can row all day with these.

I have a Sevylor Tahiti inflatable. More of a canoe than a kayak, really, but it's stable if you remember to get the skeg. Only room for one like me, 5'8'' 210, but they say it's 2 person. Only skinny, short ones I guess. It's good in smaller lakes or sheltered coves no white water here, so it's not a problem. The best thing is, it's under $200.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

I've been considering getting a Sevylor Rio. They are on sale at Sportman's Warehouse for $199.99 right now. It would be nice and light to carry on my bicycle, or hiking in. I've also considered an Advanced Elements Lagoon, just to keep on my bicycle for impromptu get-aways. I love my Convertable, but at 50 pounds, it's a little heavy on a bike.

I had an infaltable kayak and gave it away. There was no freeboard with two people in it and it paddled like an old truck innertube. I replaced it with a Creek Company one person pontoon. (I'll know more about it after Memorial Day...)

I noticed they don't list a capacity in "persons" or weight in the specs...

+ Reply to Thread