+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inflatable fishing kayaks

Hybrid View

Default Inflatable fishing kayaks

Dear Board,

I already own two float tubes and a pontoon as well as two canoes but I am still in search of the perfect vessel for fly fishing local lakes and streams. Yes, I do realize just how ridiculous that sounds, but please read my post and try to help if you can. I'm only asking because the float tubes are pretty much summer time craft, the pontoon is not all that handy, and the canoes are both a handful to handle solo. I can get them all to and from the water OK but they, and the pontoon for that matter, pretty much require that I use my truck for transport if I'm fishing by myself. I'd like something I could carry in the trunk of my car.

On another message board I visit I stumbled upon this thing, http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=16363.

Has anyone seen one, used one, or have you seen or used something similar like a Sea Eagle?

I don't want a hard boat, kayak, canoe, or otherwise. I'd like an inflatable craft that will float me around in a leisurely manner. I'm a big enough fellow that pool toy type boats don't interest me, but I will not be rafting the Colorado River at flood stage so if you know of anything that might be worth looking at I'd appreciate a heads up.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

If you're looking for a real light weight inflatable, how about Outcast's OSG Commander at 35# or Dave Scadden's Assault at about 25#, compared to this NRS boat at 51#.

NRS makes top quality boats, but in the video this one looked a bit tippy even on still water (even with its rigid floor you probably wouldn't want to stand up to fish from it in many instances).

Personally, I would feel more comfortable with a small pontoon than with this kayak for both still and moving waters (perhaps an Outcast PAC 9 Featherlight, for example, at just 45#).

I have an inflatable kayak and hate it. I find it hard to get out of (getting in is just a controlled fall) and, because it's so wide, I find it very hard to paddle with a normal (double blade) kayak paddle.

I had an inflatable kayak. Gave it away. I weigh in at 220 and let's just say there wasn't a lot of freeboard.

I now have a regular canoe and an inflatable pontoon. I figure the pontoon will work because my fat a** will already be in the water, more or less.

5. Default

Am looking at some type of inflatable myself... right now the sea eagle paddleski is an option...it has its drawbacks but I do fish both lakes and rivers. I can put an electric trolling motor on it if needed for lake travel...I am long in the tooth so not into overly exerting myself....hope you find your perfect craft

I really like the looks of this NRS and they are awesome boats. I had an Escalade designed by Dave Scadden: http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/.../escalade.html Used a paddle like a kayak. I didn't care for it. Very similar now is the Outcast Commander as mentioned: http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/....aspx?series=6 (but Dave was a designer for Outcast)

I now own the Assault XX and love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43h6v_sJiD0 Yes you can stand on it. And so well balanced even with the front seat. I stand in the middle and lift. Very light and packs up super small. I drive a small SUV and it fits easy with a motor and battery and all my gear.

+ Reply to Thread