+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for opinions or reviews on the Scaddon NFO Outlaw Escape

Default I'm looking for opinions or reviews on the Scaddon NFO Outlaw Escape

Ok guys! I LOVE my Fishcat 4 Delux float tube...but for one small detail. It's great on flat water, but I'm now wanting something that can handle a wider variety of water. I want something I can take into rivers that will let me go down them frontwards so I can avoid obstacles, sweepers, etc, without staining my neck all the time and still fish without having to paddle all the time. I find fishing from a canoe, in a river, beyond difficult. At the same time it needs to be back packable...ie something I can easily carry in and out while hiking down trails....so no frames and light weight. I've been studying kickboats of various types for a while now. I like them, but then I saw the Scaddon NFO Outlaw Escape. It's a 6 ft version of their Renigade which I also like but I think it may be too big ???. I think Joanie knows that watercraft.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had some experience with these and what they think of it, handling etc.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

There have been lots of comments on Scadden's boats - pro and con - on the Washington Fly fishing Forums: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/forum.php? You'll find many of them under the "Watercraft" section.

I don't own a Scadden boat (I might except for the fact that a significant number of Scadden boat owners report incidents of Scadden's less than stellar record of service - a fact that 2 of my close friends who own his boats can also attest to.)

Personally, I think that this boat may suffice on still waters, I would never want to trust it on much more than a Class I - Class 11 (at best) river. It is on the small side, the oar locks aren't particularly robust, and it's light weight is a result of using a lighter weight material in it's tubes (in addition to not having a frame.) I believe that Scadden may also use cheaper air valves on this boat that have given some people problems.

I've had both an Outcast Fish Cat tube and the Scadden Outlaw Escape. I've only used them on stillwaters. I think they'd be fine on class 1 or 2 rivers. A buddy of mine has used it on several rivers in No. California. I hope to try it this year.

Overall the Scadden is a faster and easier to kick boat. I like it and recommend it. I've had no issues with the air valves, except that a small piece of radiator use is needed to connect the pump to the valve. Just seems a bit odd to me. I've also used an electric pump to inflate it, although it is not the Scadden electric pump.
    Last edited by cmcculloch; 03-02-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: clarify model is Escape.

Arrow For a possible alternative ...

... follow the link, Deb.

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/WM_...and_Specs.html

This watercraft gets high marks from some folks around here, and not just because it is made by a local company.

Can't really say if it would be a good alternative for what you have in mind, but it does seem to meet some of your criteria.

John
    The fish are always right.

Yep, John. I know all about the Water Master and Water Striders. They absolutely meet my criteria. If fact you can find possitive comments I've made about them on this web site. I like them very much but it's the price tag that keeps me from running out to get one. I'm curious about the Outlaw Escape because that's more in my ball park price wise at the moment.

I was hoping to hear from those who have had experience with them. I do know that it will do everything my current float tube (Fish Cat) will do. The video intrigued me however. Check out this big guy on the Green River.

It also seems to paddles well. Something I can't do with the current float tube.

I'm hoping FlyGoddess will chime in. I know she's used them.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-26-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

May I suggest you contact "flygoddess" (AKA Joni). She has lots of experience with Scadden products.
    Duh! I guess I should have read your previous post. I've watched the link posted previously and the guy riding that boat looks a lot like me. Or the way I'm built. So, without trying one, I'd have to say I'm impressed. He even fished through the rapids.
    Last edited by Lotech; 02-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Deb, that is not that much longer than your fishcat, my most recent experience in my f'cat tells me if you happen to get the Scadden boat sideway in that current there is an excellent opportunity to perform a half barrel roll in it. I didn't find it that much fun. For a river like the one shown "I'm going to need a bigger boat."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I love my Watermaster, theres alot of room on the back for it. Tough to complain when I can fit it and all my gear in the trunk of a car.

I would not float a river with those cheap oars that are on that Scadden in the video. Do yourself a favor and upgrade, and always carry a spare.
    These are the oars I use.
    http://216.25.85.114/ProductPages/JO400 Series.html

If you are not in a hurry, keep an eye on Craigslist. I bought mine new for less than half retail.
    Last edited by DUB; 02-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.

First off, note the negative responces you get about NFO are people that heard it from a friend. Dub we have had this talk before, the oars in the first pictures are the same as Daves. He too offers upgrades to those who feel they need it.
    As for the Washington forum, you will also note the Masses (with the exception of maybe 6) love the boats. Many prefer the rocker design to the WM and many have sold their WM WS for the new Assault.
    I am not going to say they have top notch service as things happen, but I will say Dave will bend over to correct them.

As for the Escape, NO COMPARISON to the FC. Okay little boat. I am 5'8" tall with 36" inseam and my knees were in my chest. I miss the room behind the seat also. Only two complaints from me on this boat. Now for a few dollars more and a "Couple More Pounds" the Renegade.

cmcculloch , which boat? The whole line is called Outlaw.

I had the Escape, I have the Renegade, the Assault XX, and the X5. Love them all, but I did upgrade the oars, for no other reason than they look cool and they do a fantastic job.

May I suggest to you, look seriously at the Assault. 8'6" long.

I will also say, I do not work for NFO, I am just a very satisfied customer and have been for over 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    There have been lots of comments on Scadden's boats - pro and con - on the Washington Fly fishing Forums: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/forum.php? You'll find many of them under the "Watercraft" section.

I don't own a Scadden boat (I might except for the fact that a significant number of Scadden boat owners report incidents of Scadden's less than stellar record of service - a fact that 2 of my close friends who own his boats can also attest to.)

Personally, I think that this boat may suffice on still waters, I would never want to trust it on much more than a Class I - Class 11 (at best) river. It is on the small side, the oar locks aren't particularly robust, and it's light weight is a result of using a lighter weight material in it's tubes (in addition to not having a frame.) I believe that Scadden may also use cheaper air valves on this boat that have given some people problems.
    Have you seen the boat personally? The oar locks are the same as Watermaster ( and of course you won't find people dissin' WM's oar system right?) and you'll also find a few detractors that put out the crap on the Washington board and you'll notice what happened to them too. "You believe that Scadden may also use cheaper air valves". I don't know where you got your info on the valves either, but you're wrong there. Having 3 boats with these valves, I've never had a problem. As many boats as NFO sells, there are bound to be a few complaints. And with the internet forums, impatient people love to bit?h and post. NFO is a small company and during the show season, it may be hard to get ahold of Dave or Larry.
    Everybody these days has to have everything instantly, more patience. Yes I know Dave very well. Been buying boats from him for close to 20 years now. There are no cheap parts or fabric used when building his boats, and the aluminum oars (looks like a number of boat manufacturers identical oars) side bags may be built in Asia to keep some of the costs down, the new frameless boat seats are made in Europe, and the boats are made here. And during show season, you want to get a hold of Dave, call in the mornings, Monday thru Wednesday. I never have a problem getting him on the phone, and if I can't I leave a message and he'll call back.
    I had the Escape, but got rid of it for the Renegade. Being 6'3" I like the bigger boats, not the float tubes. When the Assault series came out, I sold the Renegade and got the Assault XX. Couldn't be happier. The Assaults take the WM one step further, by rockering the ends. BTW, guess who designed the WM?

+ Reply to Thread