+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripping Basket Again

Hybrid View

Default Stripping Basket Again

Found the site of the one I use. Better than most.
    Still like catching loops in my off hand.

http://flyfishbasket.com/

Bob,

I tried that one and hated it...

I'll bring my Mangrove to the Acadiana Fly Rodders Conclave on Sat., and you can try it out.

Kyle

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I bought one like that minus those straps at Wallies world for a couple bucks and use it on my Pontoon boat. It rests between my legs and to keep it wind proof I placed a ring made of 3/4 inch clear tubing filled with the lead off a cast net that bit the dust. The entire affair folds up and makes a nice low profile stripping basket for a portable boat. I use the inexpensive Sterilte baskets for my waist with a long bungee (really long) and some weed whip material looped through the bottom to keep tangels at bay. That Mangrove basket is nice if you are speaking of the Hip Shooter and I duplicated that with a oval waste basket, an insert made of closed cell foam much like theirs and fingers made of heavy weed whip material. I've had a few of the commercial baskets and one of the bigger boat tubes but prefer the DIY approach and often build in added benefits. With that sterilite basket above: http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!31!...flyfishingthe/ shown here in a web article I had on the net many years back I found it perfect for surf use as it drains nicely over the Orvis Basket which at the time was a solid rubbermade like tub with cones inside.. I also found that by angling those loops toward the corner where your line shoots from it aids the no tangles and the casting.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    I bought one like that minus those straps at Wallies world for a couple bucks...
    X2! we bought one for a small laundry carrier for the towels in the kitchen at my office. Less than 5 bucks. Too funny.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

I got one and found out real quick that I didnt like to well. I now have the orvis basket and is hands down the best thing i bought.

I tried one also and found it only marginally useful. Here were the primary issues:

In the surf, the solid bottom prevented water from draining quickly, even with the mesh. This posed a possible danger and could result in the angler (me) being pulled down or off my balance by the weight of water that collected in the basket, even temporarily. In the surf, waves collapsed the sides and also caused the line to tangle in the bottom. Without putting something rigid in the bottom, the weight of heavier fly lines depressed the bottom and caused the line coils to settle towards the middle, causing more tangles and reducing casting distance. This could be addressed by inserting a somewhat rigid bottom with some sort of spikes attached.

Without some sort of spikes or fingers in the bottom, the basket only minimally reduced tangles. The thing seems to work best when secured to the leg. In a boat this meant I couldn't swing it around behind me and it was in the way when trying to move around the boat. Also the handle loop caught on things. There were other things I found aggravating but these were the most annoying.

When fishing from not surf environments from shore I found, leave, twigs and other debris caught in the mesh and was a nuisance.

I tried the thing a couple of dozen times in various environments and just didn't find it useful. The best thing I could say for it as it comes out of the package was that it packed down nicely. Putting a semi rigid piece of plastic with some pegs or spikes into the bottom does improve the utility of the basket.

I understand it works well for some people in their situations, it just didn't work well for me.

+ Reply to Thread