+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Trout Rod

Hybrid View

Default Favorite Trout Rod

I would be interested to hear from the board members about their go to trout rod -- primary use in in small and medium size streams/rivers like the Ausable in Michigan or Bowens Creek in PA. Look forward to the responses. Dave

Hi Dave! My Favorite dry fly rod is a custom built Sevier, 9-foot, 3/4 wt. It is a slow rod and a lot of fun casting dries to rising trout. My favorite nymphing rod is a Dan Craft Five Rivers FT Fast Action rod blank. It is a custom built 10-foot, 3 wt. 4-piece. It will also cast small streamers with no problem.
    Bruce

Orvis 7'9" 5wt unsanded Far-and-Fine

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Orvis 7'9" 5wt unsanded Far-and-Fine
    DITTO! About as good as it gets for an all around trout rod that is relaxing to cast and an absolute joy to play fish on!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I have a 9 foot, 4 wt, fly logic FLP+. I really like the feel of it. A little slow action for some, but I like it. Wish it was a little shorter sometimes and longer others. A good all around rod for me.

Sage 490 XP gets it done regardless of which fly is tied on.

Small stream, Hardy, The Test.

For wets and nymphs this relic from nearly 100 years ago. Painfully slow but what a rush with a fish on

For drys...and actually anything else, my 323 South Bend. It does excel as a dry fly rod but I'll throw anything with it.

What weight are those boos?
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 02-23-2012 at 08:32 PM.

My absolute favorite for fishing the Ausable and Manistee...and most trout streams of that nature is my 7ft6in 3 wt. custom built, G.Loomis IMX ...now out of production). For slighty bigger rivers (or larger flies) like the Grand in Ontario, I like my 9ft 4wt Shakari HMX custom built by me. Unfortunately they aren't around anymore or I would have more of them. These are now what would be considered old technology, as they are about 10 yrs old or so... but I never felt the need to look at anything new. On bigger water like below Mio (MI), western rivers and most still water fishing I use a 9ft 5wt St. Croix Legend Elite (pre NSi resin technology). If your familiar with these blanks you will now know that I like rods that are light and fast, but I enjoy casting any rod to tell you the truth. Now I will say that I still test cast rods any time I get the chance. I also liked the Gatti blanks back when I built the ones mentioned above. I don't know if they are still in the market here or not. I used to get those blanks here in Ontario, but I haven't seen any in quite a while. I also really liked the Orvis Z-Axis. I'm not as crazy about the Helios.

If you were to ask me today what I would like to build on to own...
    I'm really liking the newest St. Croix line of blanks. In particular the rods made with the NSi Resin: SCIV, SCV and SCVI blanks. I love the SC built Legend Elite but those rods and those fast blanks are certainly not for everybody. They are high end, in my book, and I don't like paying that kind of money for a rod...but I did break down and buy a Bank Robber...the first manufacured rod I've bought in over ten years.

I don't think I've ever found a fly rod that I just didn't like to cast. Some just took longer to love than others. It's like a freindship. It starts out with a greeting, a little awkward but comfortable...and after a time they grow on you and sometimes you just fall in love.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-23-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread