+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Czech and Tenkara -- Flyfishing?

John S...

Legally...you only need to be fishing with a fly to be fly fishing, in most states. How you get that fly to the fish MIGHT be regulated on some waters...but for the most part, you can lob a fly with a spinning rod, mono line and a cork or casting "bubble", or 3 inches of pencil lead if the conditions warrant. It's still fly fishing.

There will always be some that believe that it's only fly fishing if you use a dry fly casting up stream only.

In my book...to each his own as long as it's legal. To argue anything else is just wasted energy and it's getting way long in the tooth. I don't have time, because I'd rather be fishing.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-24-2012 at 02:28 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi View Post
    John S...

Legally...you only need to be fishing with a fly to be fly fishing, in most states. How you get that fly to the fish MIGHT be regulated on some waters...but for the most part, you can lob a fly with a spinning rod, mono line and a cork or casting "bubble", or 3 inches of pencil lead if the conditions warrant. It's still fly fishing.

There will always be some that believe that it's only fly fishing if you use a dry fly casting up stream only.

In my book...to each his own as long as it's legal. To argue anything else is just wasted energy and it's getting way long in the tooth. I don't have time, because I'd rather be fishing.

See, I don't see that as "Fly Fishing" I see it fishing a fly, which you are...fishing a fly with a spinning outfit. Fly Fishing is the rod, PVC line, reel, leader tippet, or the Tenkara as it is the PVC line and the fly, same with Czech.
    We have several waters that are labeled "Flies or artificial lures" But waters labeled fly fishing only MEANS just that. Not fishing a fly. But in the same breath, IF you were to stick a worm or a hopper on a hook and cast it with a Rod and PVC line, etc. I say you are fly fishing bait

In the words of the immortal Charles Schultz...Good Grief!
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

+ Reply to Thread