+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macrophotography Trick

Hybrid View

Default Macrophotography Trick

I had a little trouble shooting images of my flies, even with my Olympus E-520 which has Macro settings, so this is what I came up with. It's a desk lamp, the style with the magnifying glass in the middle and a ring fluorescent light around it. The lens must be close enough to the glass so as not to reflect the flash. It must also be centered in the magnifying glass and the lenses should be as paralell as you can get them. This is what it looks like (no comments on the desk please):

And these are the results:

Tomorrow I will try it with the two other cameras I have and see if I can replicate the results with cheapo cameras too. Luke
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 02-24-2012 at 04:08 AM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

What!! The desk looks great!!
    Mike

Hey Luke. I wonder how that would work with a point & shoot camera? Did you try it?

Bruce,

I bet it would. I just have an older Canon P&S with a nothing special macro function and it takes decent pics without shooting through a magnifier.

Regards,
    Scott

Try this simpler method:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ly-Photography

To get photos like this:

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I guess I should have been clearer earlier, the main problem with the macro function on my camera is that the built-in flash often comes from an unflattering angle as well as shadowing the lens. The added magnification is just a minor bonus to the halo of light provided by the ring lamp. I could buy a ring flash for the camera, but not without taking out a second mortgage. The lamp was found while dumpster diving at the local airport.

On a side note, I cannot get either of my point & shoot cameras to shoot through the magnifying glass. I believe that removing the glass (just 3 screws on my old timer) will remedy the situation and hopefully allow use of the P&S cameras.

Silver, I prefer the representation of details and colors afforded by a black background (in this case my black canvas coat.) It's just a personal preference. I do like how the styrofoam cup method presents translucent flies, I could not accomplish the same with a black background. It will definitely go in my "great ideas" file. Luke
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 02-24-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

+ Reply to Thread