+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wolley Buggar attempt #3

Hybrid View

Default Wolley Buggar attempt #3

I am not proud enough of the first two attempts to show them to the viewing public. However, the third attempt faired better. The proportions are off because it was tied on a #12 2XL 2X heavy hook. I got a little wild with the colors too. I have been told I am "color vision dificient", so if it isn't as pretty to you, please feel free to comment. The first one took two hours to tie with another method. This one took less than 10 min. with a method I had never used before. Thanks to DG for setting me on the right path on tying this one. His instructions were excellent. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

There's lots of ways to tie buggers and they almost all effective; you're going to have a tough time keeping fish off that fly. I like to keep them as simple as possible since where I fish them I'm going to lose them and I hate spending a lot of vise time on sacrificial flies.

On fairly small hooks (I think this is a #6 4xl) I just wrap the butts of the marabou tail forward to use as the body, tie in the hackle tip first and wrap back down the body (gives the hackle a swept-back effect that I like), and then wrap the wire rib (tied in with the tail) forward to secure the hackle. Even with the Sexi-floss legs, this one's about 5 minutes to tie.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Nothing wrong with that tie, Luke, it looks very good. I believe with woolly buggers, the uglier they are the better they fish.

Luke, as already mentioned, that fly will get fish. I would offer three suggestions. First being, again, there is nothing wrong with your tie. Secondly, thin out the tail a bit and even substitute Marabou with different material like Pheasant tail or Rabbit. Thirdly, when wrapping the hackle, tie in by the tip of the feather at the bend, then wrap to eye. This will put the larger part of the feather at the eye. Then do a couple more wraps at the eye making a collar. This is called a pusher.
    So many little variations to a simple pattern that can create and trigger bites. Just suggestions to what you already have down.

Thanks everyone, Fly Goddess, I cheated with the marabou tail- it's a whole chikabou feather, I think I'll try to select a smaller one on the next tie. I started the butt of the feather at the front, so it should be smaller at the rear. It may have to do with my feather selecting skills or the fact that I only used about half of a 3" feather (the butt end). I'll try it how you suggested this evening and post the results. Luke
    After reading my own signature line about owning failures... Here is the first attempt:
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 02-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Good Looking Buggar Scott. I'm tying on #12's. I couldn't find Buggars small enough for my liking at the local "shop", this is part of what led me to tie. I'll be trying your method tonight as well, though I am a little apprehensive about tying behind a head. I guess I have to learn sometime. Thanks. Luke
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 02-22-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Luke,

If I was picking a 'bugger to fish with, I'd pick your 'first' one over the one you posted in your initial post.

I've been collecting fly tying books for twenty years, and almost all of them show a wooly bugger variation or two. Very few of these looked alike in proportion, tailing density and length, hackle density and length, etc.. Many include an extra turn of hackle at the head for a 'pusher' effect, many do not. Tailing materials vary wildly from the now considered 'standard' marabou.

You can add flash materials to the tail, wrap it through the body, lay it alongside the body, use a wire rib, or not. Wind the hackle from back to front or front to back. Slimmer and longer or shorter and fatter. Bead heads, dumbbell eyes, bead chain, lead underwraps....whatever you like.

The amazing thing about ALL these variations is that they ALL catch fish.

As far as tying time goes, it's slow for everyone when they are first starting out. A simple 'bugger with my rotary vise can be tied in under a minute, but thats after years of practice at it. If you can tie fishable flies in ten minutes and are enjoying the experience, then you are on the right track.

Have fun, experiment. Make them look good to YOU. The fish will eat them if you present them properly, and with a 'bugger it's hard to do that wrong.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

AlanB Guest

Great start, keep going.
    If ever you want to shorten or even up a marabou tail pinch it between your thumb nail and the pad on your index finger and tear it. Cutting it makes it look awful, but tearing makes for a natural looking tail.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread