+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bwo???

NJTB, RW here,

That is exactly the way I tie them but minus the ribbing. Same shade of olive and medium dun hackle. Good looking fly by the way. Just finished tying up a dozen. Where in So. Jersey. I lived there for 55 years.

rw
    Last edited by Royal Wulff; 02-25-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Blog Entries

I like the loop wing versions

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Wulff View Post
    NJTB, RW here,

That is exactly the way I tie them but minus the ribbing. Same shade of olive and medium dun hackle. Good looking fly by the way. Just finished tying up a dozen. Where in So. Jersey. I lived there for 55 years.

rw

RW, the ribbing is just the natural edge of the biot body when you wrap it. I like the segmentation.

I'm in Haddon Heights. Whereabouts were you?.....and how did you escape? LOL!

Byron,

I like the Loop wing alot as well. Change the abdomen and tail to pheasant tail and that's my LTD. I fish it more often than not. But the BWO posted is my favorite straight dry pattern. The LTD is an emerger/dry pattern.

Ralph

ok first of all .... not judging ... but the first fly is a crude attempt for somebody that has never seen a bwo fly be it tyed in catts style or any other.
    njtb nice fly .... great proportions.

I like to tye my loop wings with cdc

NYangler....thanks much. I like the CDC loop as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Byron,

I like the Loop wing alot as well. Change the abdomen and tail to pheasant tail and that's my LTD. I fish it more often than not. But the BWO posted is my favorite straight dry pattern. The LTD is an emerger/dry pattern.

Ralph

I think the splayed stiff tail fibers assist in flotation given the "V" notched hackle.

And I like Fibbetts for the tail, thread for an abdomen, super fine dubbing for thorax with a white Post and Dun hackle for a Parachute. Size???? 14 to 24

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I think the splayed stiff tail fibers assist in flotation given the "V" notched hackle.
    Yes'sir it does. Split tails are very functional. On the LTD the goal is for the tail and abdomen to sink blow the film. Your pattern shown is a great dry pattern for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ny angler View Post
    ok first of all .... not judging ... but the first fly is a crude attempt for somebody that has never seen a bwo fly be it tyed in catts style or any other.
    As stated previously, it was purchased at a chain sporting goods store and is most likely an import from Asia. Part of the reason I posted it was because it did not fit the BWO patterns I had seen here and I was wondering if it even fit the bill as a BWO representative. I am new to tying and looking for ideas. This post has provided me with many. Thanks all. Luke
    PS: that was judging.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

+ Reply to Thread