+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bwo???

Hybrid View

Default Bwo???

This was sold too me at the local Big Box Sports Store as A BWO. I am not experienced enough yet to identify it or to be able to copy it myself. I like the little fly, so I was hoping someone here could help me identify who's recipe it is and point me in the right direction for finding the recipe, as I have not found one in the FOTW to match it closely yet. Thanks Luke.

P.S. I am going out this afternoon to pick up some books, so that I will not have to lean on you guys so much.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

The recipe appears to be:
    tail and hackle: dun hackle
    body: olive dubbing
    wings: mallard wing slips?

Books? look for Charley Craven's book on basic fly tying
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 02-21-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

What he said. However, it looks like the body is a light olive synthetic of some type and the wings are black hackle tips or perhaps some type of black quill slips? Personally, I prefer the hackle a little longer.

Allan

Blog Entries

That is your basic BWO, approximately Catskill style. Whose recipe it is would entail going back fifty or eighty years and seeing who claimed to be the first to invent it.

The thing about mayflies is that once you have a basic pattern down, all you have to do to make a different mayfly is change the color of the materials and if needed, the size of the hook. So even though there are hundreds of species of mayflies out there, they can all be matched with one basic pattern (or another, there are lots of different approaches), with at most some minor tweaks.

Same with caddis, stones, midges... I have one mayfly pattern, one caddis pattern, one stonefly pattern, and one midge pattern, and they are all, with only minor differences, the SAME pattern. But I can match almost any bug out there with them.

Books are great Luke, I'm going back over a bunch now. But, having this forum is sooooo much better. You get to interact with some of the greatest people. The two complement each other.
    Mike

"That is your basic BWO, approximately Catskill style". Would you clarify your use of the word, 'approximately'? It seems to me that that fly has neither the proportions nor the wings of a 'Catskill' style fly. Just sayin.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread