+ Reply to Thread

Thread: snake brand guides

Default snake brand guides

Probably a stupid question, but with the snake brand guides, do you not have to "point" them? I tried putting them on leaving them straight and had a difficult time getting the thread to climb up on the foot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but with the snake brand guides, do you not have to "point" them? I tried putting them on leaving them straight and had a difficult time getting the thread to climb up on the foot.
    It sounds to me like you got an older set. I find that the Universals are fantastic to work with and have not needed any foot prep at all.

Snake Brand has been bought back by the original owner, Mike McCoy, and he has been working to correct some quality issues. If you drop him a note at mike@snakeguides.com, I would bet he takes care of you.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks, Kevin, it has been a couple of years ago that I got the straight ones, and I asked them about it and they gave me some hooey answer, it really turned me off. So yours do come pointed? I really liked them except for that.

Blog Entries

Yes. There was absolutely NO foot prep needed.

This is a close-up of one of the Snake Brand guides wrapped and finished. You can see that the rise of the foot is about the same as the thickness of the thread. The Universals are concave on the bottom to help align the guide on the rod, too.

I use these goodies to hold the guides in place to wrap. Once I get the wrap started, these go away and I finish up. No glue at all. This way, I can tweak the alignment just before finishing. The Snake Brand guides were a bit easier to move at this stage due to the very thin foot, too.

I can't begin to tell you how much these little ties sped up wrapping for me. They are reusable, too!

Kevin

great idea, just slip a bead onto a little elastic gizmo, but what is that little elastic gizmo?
    Oh, and was just looking at the SB site, and the picture of their original guides still shows the "square feet" - the universal guides are quite a bit more expensive, just to get the radius and the pointy feet, aren't they?
    Last edited by herefishy; 02-21-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Not really that bad if you take into consideration the time you invest to prep a full set of guides, keep feet equal length and consistentsy on point taper.

I tried a set of universal guides several rods ago and was not impressed. They may not require any prep if you are using size A thread, but I was using Perasall's Gossamer. I had to re contour every foot before wrapping. Needless to say, for the extra money I paid for the guides, I was not a happy camper. Something to think about before purchasing.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    great idea, just slip a bead onto a little elastic gizmo, but what is that little elastic gizmo?
    A child's hair tie. Use metal beads. They grip the hair tie better. Plastic will slip.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread