+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly of the week Feb 20 - 26

Hybrid View

Default fly of the week Feb 20 - 26

We might as well stik with Dub's idea of Blue Wing Olives. I'm sorry about the glare in the picture but i can't re-shoot it. The fly is lost in my carpet along with the wonderwing version I was trying to compare it to side by side. The up eyed hook is just because they were a good deal. I'm not sure they help much with hookups.

Just hackle fiber tails, a blend of of olive and brown dubbing and a speck of snowshoe foot on #20 94842.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Arrow The CDL BWO ...

... which emerged from a BWO nymph tied only with CDL fibers. Follow the link for some background and the recipe for this little guy which has a taste for big fishies.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...041309fotw.php

John
    The fish are always right.

AlanB Guest

In the style of Marc Petitjean.

This style of fly is great in that you can just change the colours and size to imitate any upwing. They land very gently when cast, and float well.
    Cheers,
    A.

OLIVE SOFT HACKLES
    Hook - Mustad 3906B size 14 thru 18
    Thread - Camel 8/0 Uni
    Tail - Brown Partridge or Brown Hen Hackle (I used both on these flys)
    Rib - Small UTC wire in Hot Yellow or Gold (I used both on these flys)
    Abdomen - Small Olive D-Rib or Midge Tubing (Top is covered with Forest Green Permanent Marker)
    Thorax - Olive Rabbit Fur slightly teased out
    Collar - Light Dun or Light Brown Hen Hackle (I used both on these flys)

When the BWO's come out, I fish these as an emerger, or I grease my tippet and fish them as a cripple in the film.

Two of my favorite emergers...

BAT WING BAETIS EMERGER...Tracy Petersen...#16-#20...this is a #20

THREAD: Gordon Griffith?s 14/0, Gray or Olive, Tiemco 16/0 Gray

HOOK: TMC 2487 or Daiichi 1130, #16-#20

TAIL: Dun Hen Hackle Barbs

ABDOMEN:BWO or Olive Goose Biot ( I use Stalcup's)...it may be tied fringed or flat

WING: Fluffy, butt end of a Dun Hen feather, mounted convex side up and pulled over Abdomen and Bead

ABDOMEN:Brown or Dk. Tan Beaver

BEAD: Gun Metal Glass or Black Metal sized to hook

GRAY DAY BAETIS EMERGER...Murphy/ Variant...

HOOK:Gamakatsu R10-B #16-#20

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Gray

SHUCK: Hi-Vis, #16, Medium Gray

RIB: UTC Ultra Wire, x-sm, Silver

ABDOMEN: Pheasant Tail, Muskrat Gray, Nature's Spirit

THORAX: Ostrich Herl, Natural Gray

WING CASE/LEGS: 6 strands, Midge Flash, Black - pulled over and separated

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 02-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

CDC Ducktail BWO

#24 DaiRiki 125
    mallard flank
    cdc
    zelon
    14/0 gray thread

Blue Winged Olive is a pretty generic term. The last hatch of the year in Montana tends to be tiny little gray mayflies. Are they Baetis? Pseudoklingons (pseudocloeons)? Extra tiny or not they still provide some of the best fishing of the year. The rivers tend to be almost empty right before freeze-up too, which doubles the pleasure. I had good fishing in late November this year. I almost always fish two flies, with the point fly being a generic gray-colored soft hackle (like DUB's above). Sometimes with and sometimes without a bead. If the beadheads seem to be working I use an October Caddis for the dry fly. Else a Ducktail like this one. When tying itty-bitty dry flies I try to keep it sparse, simple and easy to tie. Tying with a short-shank scud hook de-couples fly size from hook size. So you can use a #22 scud hook and make a large or small fly, depending on what you want. The smaller hooks make these guys feather light and champion floaters. Regardless which dry fly you use, you will catch more fish on the trailing wet fly. This (the wet fly preference) is perhaps more true for BWOs than any other hatch--not counting the late summer, early evening sulfur hatch, which also fishes best as wet. Actually I take that back. Dry fly fishing is fun. And it's easier too, because you get to see the take. But wet flies will (sadly) generally outfish any dry fly for any hatch. PMDs are the best dry fly hatch because those bugs ride on the surface for the logest distance. BWOs ride the surface for a long time too. But I still catch more fish on the wets. For Green Drake and Sulfur hatches the wet fly prefernce is even more pronounced.

This one--although tied on a #24 hook--is closer to a normal #20, if measuring the fly body rather than the hook.
    I lash the Zelon crossbar legs loosely (above), and then whip finish behind the eye. Then I pinch the zelon from the sides to splay it out. If it had been lashed on tightly you wouldn't be able to get it to splay out properly. Then I put a micro-dot of thin CA glue where the Zelon attaches (loosely) to the shank. That locks the legs permanently, without losing the splayed-out orientation of the Zelon fibers.

To make precision, pin-point drops of thin CA glue right where you want it, #30 guage PTFE (teflon-family) tubing (caulked in place with hot glue) helps enormously. PTFE tubing caulked into a glue bottle makes what chemists call a "wash bottle." You don't tip the bottle. You squeeze it. You can watch the glue ride up the tube, so you can release pressure just as it reaches the tip. Thereby dispensing almost microscopic dots of CA glue.
    #16 guage tubing works better for the thicker ZapAGap. The tubing seldom clogs. But if and when it does, the clogging always happens at the tip of the tubing. So all you have to do is snip off the top 1/64" of the tubing and it's ready to go again. I bought 100' rolls of PTFE tubing many years ago. So I don't stay in touch with current sources. I'll never have to buy it ever again. But I did do a Google search earlier today and saw many links. You don't have to buy 100'. It is good stuff. There is no better way to dispense tiny, accurate pin-point drops of CA glue.

Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-22-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Dub,
    I really like those olive soft hackles.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Dub,
    I really like those olive soft hackles.

Ed
    Thank you Ed!

Luke Mcleod's post in another thread reminded me that this still works most of the time. Of course in a #20 like this I would just as soon forget about it. Bryan, can you choose a fly for next week.

Size 24 no hackle A pain to keep afloat and to tie but worth carrying

+ Reply to Thread