Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
One response I seldom see is this one: Go to your best local flyshop (or 2 if you can) and see what they have as used or 'out of fashion' equipment. I know of two in Connecticut, and one in Toronto that have older rods (either as trade-ins/consignments or as older stock) where you could get excellent older/used stuff for the cost of entry level new stuff. At that location you would also get good advice for re-starting and be in a position to get more help in the future as you advance.

Absolutely. My question is, what did you have before and why did you quit? Maybe it was not the best in equipment and that is why you didn't like it. It is not a CHEAP style at all for fishing but it does not need cost an arm and a leg.
But, the better the equipment, the easier it will be. Lighter rod, but more importantly, BALANCED between rod and reel loaded with line.
My suggestion "on a whole set up" is as mentioned, try different rods to find out which works WITH your style. Are you a whip caster, then fast action or are you slow caster, medium action.
Once you find the rod for your style a reel with a fair drag, but it will basically be a place to hold line specially with the species you are targeting.
I would concider spending more for the line. So many of these kits, the line is what is lacking. The line is very curly and needs to be straightened each time used. Get a good supple line. There are sales all the time for good lines, even Orvis has their Wonderline on sale for $29.

I stress, the better and more "you" balanced the gear, the more it will hold your interest.