+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a recomendations

Default Need a recomendations

Could someone suggest a good beginning outfit? I just want to make sure I start (back) off on the right foot. Panfish and trout mainly.

The Scientific Anglers starter set is a good value for the money. Troutlet .com ( see the sponsors page) had them for less than a $100 the last I knew. I had a chance to cast one of the Eagle Claw glass rods last summer and was impressed with the value there also. Those outfits are even less expensive.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Yes the Scientific Anglers kits are a very good value. They come with an excellent instructional DVD also. You can find them from around $80 to $100. The Cortland Pre-Loaded and Ready to Fish combos are good to at around $85 to $120. Also the Redington Crosswater outfits which are in the $120 to $140 range. All three of these come with decent fly lines, which is important as low quality line and adversely affect performance. I have several dozen fly rods, including many that cost much more than the rods in these combos, but I would sill be happy with fishing any of those three combos if someone handed me one tomorrow.

The Orvis Clearwater outfits are great values as well.

Cabela's offers some resonably good outfits for nthe money.

Blog Entries

hooked,

There are a number of good choices for fly rod outfits to pick from.

First off, since you are going to be fishing for trout and panfish I suggest a 9 foot 5 or 6 weight rod. The 6 weight will handle the larger flies in a wind better than the 5 weight but either would work just fine.

Temple Fork Outfitters has a nice beginning rod outfit, the TF NXT 5/6, a 9 foot outfit for $199.95. This rod has a lifetime warranty.
    http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/combo.html

Albright sells a very good outfit, the Topwater in a 5/6 for $119.70.
    http://albrightflyfish.com/items/top...tfits/list.htm

Redington (owned by Sage) sells several great outfits, either a Crosswater (med-fast action) for $119.95 or the Pursuit (fast action) for $159. Redington has a lifetime warranty.
    http://www.redington.com/outfits_landing.html

Any of these rods would be great choices for a starter outfit and down the road you will use them as either your backup outfit or your second rod when you want two rods rigged up at the same time.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks for the replies!

The video in the SI kit is really good. Bought it separate on sale somewhere and it really helped.

Hookedintheear
    We've all been talking rods/reels/lines etc., but the best things you can get are someone to share your passion with and the mindset that 'this is for enjoyment and it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks I'm right!'!
    Bob

I'm with sagefisher,
    My go to rod is a 9' 6 wt. Good length and line weight to get started again.
    xfishcop

+ Reply to Thread