+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a recomendations

Hybrid View

Default Need a recomendations

Could someone suggest a good beginning outfit? I just want to make sure I start (back) off on the right foot. Panfish and trout mainly.

The Scientific Anglers starter set is a good value for the money. Troutlet .com ( see the sponsors page) had them for less than a $100 the last I knew. I had a chance to cast one of the Eagle Claw glass rods last summer and was impressed with the value there also. Those outfits are even less expensive.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Yes the Scientific Anglers kits are a very good value. They come with an excellent instructional DVD also. You can find them from around $80 to $100. The Cortland Pre-Loaded and Ready to Fish combos are good to at around $85 to $120. Also the Redington Crosswater outfits which are in the $120 to $140 range. All three of these come with decent fly lines, which is important as low quality line and adversely affect performance. I have several dozen fly rods, including many that cost much more than the rods in these combos, but I would sill be happy with fishing any of those three combos if someone handed me one tomorrow.

The Orvis Clearwater outfits are great values as well.

Cabela's offers some resonably good outfits for nthe money.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    The Scientific Anglers starter set is a good value for the money. Troutlet .com ( see the sponsors page) had them for less than a $100 the last I knew. I had a chance to cast one of the Eagle Claw glass rods last summer and was impressed with the value there also. Those outfits are even less expensive.
    That's the one I started out with and it has served me very well. It's specifically wieghted for panfish/trout. I'll second that recomendation.
    "Tell me and I forget,
    Teach me and I remember,
    Involve me and I learn."

~~Benjamin Franklin~~

One response I seldom see is this one: Go to your best local flyshop (or 2 if you can) and see what they have as used or 'out of fashion' equipment. I know of two in Connecticut, and one in Toronto that have older rods (either as trade-ins/consignments or as older stock) where you could get excellent older/used stuff for the cost of entry level new stuff. At that location you would also get good advice for re-starting and be in a position to get more help in the future as you advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    One response I seldom see is this one: Go to your best local flyshop (or 2 if you can) and see what they have as used or 'out of fashion' equipment. I know of two in Connecticut, and one in Toronto that have older rods (either as trade-ins/consignments or as older stock) where you could get excellent older/used stuff for the cost of entry level new stuff. At that location you would also get good advice for re-starting and be in a position to get more help in the future as you advance.

Absolutely. My question is, what did you have before and why did you quit? Maybe it was not the best in equipment and that is why you didn't like it. It is not a CHEAP style at all for fishing but it does not need cost an arm and a leg.
    But, the better the equipment, the easier it will be. Lighter rod, but more importantly, BALANCED between rod and reel loaded with line.
    My suggestion "on a whole set up" is as mentioned, try different rods to find out which works WITH your style. Are you a whip caster, then fast action or are you slow caster, medium action.
    Once you find the rod for your style a reel with a fair drag, but it will basically be a place to hold line specially with the species you are targeting.
    I would concider spending more for the line. So many of these kits, the line is what is lacking. The line is very curly and needs to be straightened each time used. Get a good supple line. There are sales all the time for good lines, even Orvis has their Wonderline on sale for $29.

I stress, the better and more "you" balanced the gear, the more it will hold your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Once you find the rod for your style a reel with a fair drag, but it will basically be a place to hold line specially with the species you are targeting.
    I would concider spending more for the line. So many of these kits, the line is what is lacking. The line is very curly and needs to be straightened each time used. Get a good supple line. There are sales all the time for good lines, even Orvis has their Wonderline on sale for $29.

I stress, the better and more "you" balanced the gear, the more it will hold your interest.
    The combos from S.A, Redington, and Cortland all come with good lines, Air Cel for the S.A., Rio Mainstream for the Redington, and 333 or 444 for the Cortland Combos. I use all of those line regularly in cold and warmwater. The reels with the S.A. and Redington are even suitable for light saltwater work. The line that comes with the TFO NXT combos also seems to be nice but the manufacturer is unknown. Each of the test combos is well balanced.

Blog Entries

hooked,

There are a number of good choices for fly rod outfits to pick from.

First off, since you are going to be fishing for trout and panfish I suggest a 9 foot 5 or 6 weight rod. The 6 weight will handle the larger flies in a wind better than the 5 weight but either would work just fine.

Temple Fork Outfitters has a nice beginning rod outfit, the TF NXT 5/6, a 9 foot outfit for $199.95. This rod has a lifetime warranty.
    http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/combo.html

Albright sells a very good outfit, the Topwater in a 5/6 for $119.70.
    http://albrightflyfish.com/items/top...tfits/list.htm

Redington (owned by Sage) sells several great outfits, either a Crosswater (med-fast action) for $119.95 or the Pursuit (fast action) for $159. Redington has a lifetime warranty.
    http://www.redington.com/outfits_landing.html

Any of these rods would be great choices for a starter outfit and down the road you will use them as either your backup outfit or your second rod when you want two rods rigged up at the same time.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread