+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does a dry fly need to float?

I don't how long a dry fly 'needs' to float.

I know how long I 'want' my dry flies to float. Always. Forever. Until I lose them.

I want my dries to land on the water with the delicacy of live size 22 midge, float like a styrofoam cork through fast water, and last like the stuff they make Yetti Coolers out of. And I certainly don't want to have to rely on false casting to dry my fly out.

I also want to be able to see them from fifty feet away....even the little ones...guess how well THAT'S going as I age ( oh so gracefully).

But I'm a dreamer. Some day maybe it will happen.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Mine only have to float until the fish eat them.
    Yup! That sounds about right!

Allan

Arrow Actually ...

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    ...How long, on average, does a fly need to float before the next cast (at which time the cast will again "dry" the fly)?

I know, when you are fishing to a rising fish, it seems like forever that you need the fly to float into the trout's window. But, I would guess that it is less than 10 seconds in most cases!!!

What do you think?...
    ... if you do the math, given a 3 mph* current speed, 10 seconds would result in an approximate 44 foot drift and given a 4 mph** current speed, 10 seconds would result in an approximate 58 foot drift.

That would suggest that your guess above is a good one, at least for the vast majority of fly anglers in the vast majority of situations.

John

*3 mph = 5280' x 3 = 15840' / ( 60 seconds x 60 minutes = 3600 ) = 4.4 fps x 10 seconds = 44'

**4 mph = 5280' x 4 = 21120' / ( 60 seconds x 60 minutes = 3600 ) = 5.8 fps x 10 seconds = 58'
    The fish are always right.

Here's the Airhead by Gary La Fontaine, from this site;

http://nwflytyer.wordpress.com/lafon...m-carousel-604

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Nice. Was looking at that one in his book too. Have you fished it? If so, what was hatching at the time?

Byron, the halo emerger is good for pale morning duns and olives, and the airhead is a good attractor anytime. DG said it best"float until the fish eat them". Can't ask more than that of any fly.

8 strips.

If I cast straight upstream (which is most of my fishing on Wisconsin's spring creeks), I can cast far enough that in 8 strips to keep the flyline tight enough to set the hook, it's time for me to cast again.

Blog Entries

So, Steven, would that be about 6 seconds or so?
    I started this because I think all you need for float is somewhere around 6-8 seconds - which is not too very long...........

Blog Entries

except... there are times when you want it to float longer. I've thrown flies out onto deep dark holes on many rivers where you might be able to get a float of a minute or more as slow as the water is moving. Foam hoppers come to mind on the Lochsa in the fall.

Seeking a standard acceptable minimum float time for a dry fly strikes me as someone needing medication and a coat with long sleeves. Or a switch to golf.

Blog Entries

Thanks DG. Appreciate your always insightful and helpful comments.

I am intrigued by Gary LaFontaine's "Halo Emerger" patterns. I am also thinking of the need for a dry pattern to give a decent float. I'm wondering if this take-off on Gary's pattern might work for a BWO? It is on a size 18 standard dry fly hook.

I would think that DG probably really did understand where I was going with the posting of this question (at least one can hope). I am torn between a great floating insect imitation and a more realistic pattern. I am not thinking of dredging around in some big deep hole, but rather fishing aquatic insect imitations to rising fish in a stream situation.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-22-2012 at 07:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread