+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelf liner ant

Default Shelf liner ant

NOTE: Modified 2/19 based on experience tying the fly.

I saw a great fly at the West Denver TU Fly Tying show last weekend. It is a very realistic looking ant. It is a novel pattern that starts with a sheet of Easy Liner Select Grip nubby rubber shelf lining bought at Walmart. ($5 for several lifetimes' supply.) They sell it in brown and black colors.

He was using was using very fine nylon bristles from an old whisk broom as legs. I could not find any brush bristles that worked for me, so I'm substituting rubber Centipede Legs in the mini size. I'm also tying in only 4 legs as it is easier and I figure trout can't count.

Materials:
    #14 1X long hook or #12.
    3 nubs from the shelf liner
    3 nylon bristles or mini Centipede Legs

Instructions:

If you look closely at the shelf liner sheet, you will see that each nub is attached in two places in one direction and two places in the other direction. Cut off a strip one nub wide so that the two piece connections are in front and back of each strip.

Trim off any connections on the side of the strip very close to the nub. Then pull (not cut) the nubs off one at a time. Save the ones that have two "tags" at each end. (They will look like a slightly-flattened ball that was molded around a capital H.)

Thread wrap the hook.

Take a nub with two fibers sticking out of both ends.

Tie the first nub in at the bend, tying in the front fibers first, advance your thread, then fold the nub forward over the hook and tie in the other set of nub-tags.

Lean the second nub up against the first nub and tie in its forward fibers as close to the first nub as possible. (The closer you tie it in, the more realistic the fly will look.) Then fold this nub forward and tie on the tag fibers there.

Tie the front fibers of the third segment in.

Place the legs over the hook and tie in, as you would a wing, to create the legs on either side of the hook.

Whip finish the thread behind the eye.

Put Zap A Gap on the top of the hook behind the eye, then fold the third nub over and press it down to attach it with the Zap A Gap. The Forward nubs will then look like antennas.

(Note: I've discovered that you can also just tie in the front tags on the front segment with a whip finish and it still looks good, just without antennas.)

Trim the legs to the desired length.

The shelf lining rubber looks much more glossy and natural than a standard foam. Getting the body segments very close together makes the body look marvelously realistic. The fly floats in the film, much like a real ant. It is an easy and fast tie once you do a couple of them.

Another neat fly I saw was a foam beetle tied with a fly tying product called Loco Foam. (Google it.) This foam is black on one side, but a shiny metallic bright color on the other. Tied on correctly, the top of the beetle is easy to see on the water, while all the fish sees is a standard black beetle.
    Last edited by oldfrat; 02-19-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Experience tying the fly

Post a picture, I'd like to see what ine looks like.

You can also find it in blue. Longer strip makes a nice dragon fly. I have had good luck using two segments for the flies.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Post a picture, I'd like to see what ine looks like.
    Ditto. A picture would help.

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    You can also find it in blue. Longer strip makes a nice dragon fly. I have had good luck using two segments for the flies.

Rick
    A friend at the local hospital got some for me in orange that they use for tray liners and toss it after one use... That use often involves stacking them on another tray in case they are needed. He suspects they toss hundreds of yards of new, sterile stuff, still in the packages every day... He brought me a huge bag. I find a magic marker does a great job of making the stuff about any color you want...

Sorry, I don't have the capability to take a fly picture.

When you pull the nubs off, they look like a somewhat flattened ball with four fine tags coming out --almost like the ball was molded around a capital H. The final fly looks very much like a real ant, with three body segments, legs and antennas.
    Last edited by oldfrat; 02-18-2012 at 01:09 AM.

If you are looking for shelf liner be aware they are not all the same. It seems this type is getting harder to find.

I looked at two different types at Walmart. The Easy Liner Select Grip is definitely the right one. It comes in two sizes. The 12" X 10' smaller one gives a lifetime supply for this ant.

Hi Oldfrat and all,

Rick posted something on this a while back, maybe a couple of years ago, including a photo I think. He had been playing around with the stuff, and came up with the ant I think.

Some of you all who are good at doing a search may be able to find the post, bring it up, and then we will have a picture, if it is a similar fly.

If I remember correctly, Rick's ant had two humps I think.

If I am wrong on this, someone can correct me.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

There is a women on you-tube that ties a hellgramite and uses the shelf liner strips as pincers.

+ Reply to Thread