I think this is a really interesting choice for Simms. On the one hand it increases exposure and availability of their products. On the other hand it has the potential to alienate the "brick and mortar" flyshops who have been the mainstay of their distribution channel up to this point. I think the most interesting aspects of the deal are: A) No sales through Amazon or Ebay, B) Product will be sold at full MSRP with a shipping and handling charge, C) Simms will direct people who want to buy online through a shop (not direct from Simms) to one of 12 "affiliate shops" (no explanation of how those will be chosen).

From the perspective of one with friends who are owners of fly shops I think A and C are the key sticking points in the deal. Many flyshops use Amazon and Ebay as and online storefront due to the cost and complexity of setting up an online store. With this policy change they will no longer be able to sell Simms via these storefronts. There is no discussion about shops which have their own online storefronts (outside of Amazon and Ebay) and whether they will be allowed to continue selling via that channel. My guess would be yes, but one never knows. I think the larger issue will be how Simms decides on it's "affiliate shops". Will these be regular fly shops or will they be big box retailers, Simms hasn't said.

Simms has pretty much stated this direct to consumer option for them is a "premium" service for those that don't or can't deal with a local shop and who would rather by direct than buy from another online shop. I guess we will just have to see how it all shakes out. Given that other companies (Redington comes to mind) have rolled out a similar model in the last 12-18 months I'm not sure this is really all that big of a deal.