+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red fox squirrel or red squirrel?

Hybrid View

Default Red fox squirrel or red squirrel?

Hey all,

I often hear people refer to using "red fox squirrel"tail. I live in Rhode Island, and we have what we call "red squirrels". Are these the same animals? I looked it up, but it didn't seem like there were two species of animals. If they are, should I grab the whole beastie if I find a recent road kill? What would I use it for?

I have a "red squirrel" tail in my freezer now (don't tell my wife... it's in the back!). Any suggestions for flies?

Thanks!
    Hugh

Squirrel tail is slippery stuff and can be a b.tch to tie with but it makes great streamer wings. Also used it for the tail on a Pepperoni Yuk Bug:

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-14-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Hugh,

I use the belly and back hair from this guy Sciurus_niger_(on_fence).jpg (it's known as a fox squirrel " {Sciurus_niger} to tie these Red Fox Squirrel Nymph. In my neck o' the woods, this critter is slightly larger than a grey squirrel. Of course, there are many other uses for the fox squirrel body and tail hair...For instance, I use the tail hair for the claws on a Crayfish crayfish.jpg, for a Michigan Wiggler Michigan Wiggler.jpg, and various crawler patterns. I also use it to tie the wing on a Picket Pin streamer (or is it a wet fly?)
    Last edited by PRM; 02-14-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

Where I hunt a red squirrel is different from a fox squirrel. Red squirrels are smaller and 10x more annoying than grey squirrels, and they aren't good eating. I wish they were because I just don't like to shoot something I don't plan to eat, even if they are annoy little beasties, and their color is beautiful for tying.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Yep, the critter we have in RI is smaller than a grey squirrel. It makes an odd noise that sounds almost like a metallic grinding. Assuming they're the same animal Dave is talking about, what do you tie with them, and which body parts?

NewTyer 1 Guest

The red squirrel we get in RI prodominately live in pine trees and range throughout New England. The fox squirrel that I have seen in Virginia are gray and twice the size of an average gray squirrel and live mostly here in the south. I could be wrong about their range but size is correct

+ Reply to Thread