Thread: Gummy Bears

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    The fewer people that use them, the less the fish get used to them.
    Perhaps fish do get "used to" common patterns. But Prince Nymphs and Woolly Buggers do still work. And the fish do see a lot of them. I don't think appearance the active ingredient with soft nymphs. Texture is. Prince Nymphs and Woolly Buggers get spit out 1/2 a second after the take. Marshmallow nymphs get chewed on. For a surprisingly long time. I've seen my leader zig zag off through the currents for ten feet or more. Sometimes the visual que being the only strike indication (no noticeable tug because I had slack in the line).

I tell that story to some fishermen and they instictively react by saying "That's unfair advantage! You catch more fish because of the material and not because you're a skillful fisherman!"

I like to think it's both. I'm a very good fisherman (better than many, if not most). And I've found (like peacock herl) a new material that really does help to put throbbing fish on the end of my line.
    ========

One of the most contentious threads on all fly fishing forums revolves around "what is fly fishing."
    It just occurred to me. Maybe fly fishing means (not counting fly rod line and reel) fishing with any artificial lure that only targets the fish's visual system. Olfactory cues (smell) is off limits. So too (perhaps) is targeting the fish's lateral line with vibration (wiggling lures) and so too is texture (targeting the fish's tactile sensory neurons after the strike). If that is the definition of fly fishing I guess I'm not exactly a fly fisherman, even though I do use fly rods, fly lines and fly reels. Because I do target all of the above, with the exception of smell.

Well, that's not entirely true either. I don't use smell for trout. But I have had a lot of fun fishing long strips of fresh pork skin (with the flyrod) in the lower Big Horn and lower Yellowstone, for catching channel catfish on the fly rod.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.