Thread: Gummy Bears

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    An interest collection you have there. The first one would possibly get me a fine where I trout fish most frequently as not scents etc., are allowed and its getting harder and harder to find worms without them.

Your mattress foam, is that the tempura type they advertise so frequently or will any open cell polyurethane foam do? How are you dyeing it? I am probably a victim of seeing too much foam and too many mattress manufactured. A wide variety of polyurethane foam are used in mattresses and furniture. Just a fyi, there are manufacturers that add sand to foam to make their furniture and mattresses heavier, so we will think they are better quality.
    Interesting (your details about foam). I use the cheapest quality foam I can find. That's all I really know about it. What is generally considered "high quality" in the industry is denser and heavier. And firmer. So the high-quality foam is not much good for fly tying. Soft and flexible makes the best nymphs. And therefore the cheapest quality. Cheap foam with sand in it sounds interesting. That might make a soft fly that sinks well. I dye mattress foam by squeezing it (with mason's gloves on) in hot Rit dye.

RE> "the first fly being scented" ....not necessarily so. Berkeley Power Baits are scented. But most bass tubes are not. The smallest ones (mini-tubes for Croppie fishermen) work the best for nymph snipping.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.