+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Dubbing

Default Buying Dubbing

I've been wondering when buying dubbing do you find it more practical, or economical, in the long run, to buy the dubbing dispensers or the individual package? I've bought many of the dispensers over time but they don't seem to have as much per color as you would get in the individual pack. Now that I make allot of my own dubbing I don't buy as much dubbing but do buy some for blending, i.e. Ice Dub., Hare's Ear Plus ... etc.,

What do most of you do when buying commercial dubbing?

Thanks,

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I have just two dubbing dispensers one of beaver and the other of ice dub. I find that most dispensers have stuff I'll never use. In the last few years I have been tying with natural fur from the skins I blend what I need from there.

"What do most of you do when buying commercial dubbing?"

Packets.
    However, if you want to add some enjoyment to your tying 'hobby' (obsession is a better word), buy some skins or parts, i.e. rabbit, beaver, muskrat, mink, fox, squirrel and begin to blend your own. Keep rough records or labels of the ingredients on packs you maske so you can duplicate when needed. Also, the next step involves bleaching and dyeing. Like I said, this can become an obsession, lol.

Allan

You can make your own dispensers from craft-store boxes and a 1/4" drill bit and fill it with dubbing you know you'll use.

Regards,
    Scott

I buy packets and skins and blend the dubbing as needed.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks guys you all pretty much confirmed my thoughts on this.

Over the last year or so I have accumulated over 5 large baskets of natural furs, hairs & tanned skins, either bought online, or from our local taxidermist.

I too find using natural materials allot better then the "store bought" and making your own dubbing is allot more fun. I tried my hand at dying but that didn't work too well. Especially living in an apartment not much room. So I do buy packets now for blending purposes or use craft yarns for blending for wet flies. I do use allot of Possum, Woodchuck, Muskrat and Beaver in most of my tying now a days.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I must be a dubbing junky. I have untold packs in different colors , textures and types. I like to mix different ones , add sparkle like ice dub just to find what I'm looking for. Just part of the fun of tying I guess.

Blog Entries

I buy individual packets. Most dubbing dispensers I have seen contain two colors I will use, one I might, and nine I won't. After all these years I know what dubbing I need and want, and anything else is just money gone. I don't blend and I don't dye, got enough things to occupy my time.

11-11-2010 013.jpgI buy a lot of dubbings for the collection. But for tying I only use Jack's tackle dubbings;
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Blog Entries

Sandfly, where do you buy that??

+ Reply to Thread