+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Dubbing

Colorblindness, well more accurately "colordumbness" as my eye doc puts it, prevents me from doing my own dubbing blending. it looks like it would be fun. I have a grinder to do some minor blending like saving the trimmings from zonker strips, but to try to blend colors would end in a horrific disaster.

I have to buy mine and make sure all the packets are clearly marked as to what color it is. When using dispensers I put a 3x5 recipe card inside the lid and write the colors in a grid to match the compartments.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Unless you are a commericial tyer, I don't think it is worth the effort to get tied up in economics when it comes to dubbing. I've been tying for over 32 years and I've never run out of dubbing. A packet of dubbing really goes a long way and is probably one of the least expensive of fly tying materials. You'll probably spend more money trying to save money. Once I've bought a packet of dubbing, I don't really expect to use it up within my lifetime. I've got dozens of packets in different colors, types, etc. to cover all the bases, but I've never used one up.

Blog Entries

I'm just about to finish the package of black superfine I apparently bought for $1.50 (at least) thirteen years ago, and had to go out and buy another one this past weekend. But I used to own a lot of dubbing that I never used at all, and never will. Bucks is bucks in this day and age.

The only dubbing I use up "fast" is for October Caddis, because of the size. Hard to burn a lot tying #18 ants. Then again, muskrat seems to vanish fast when the smaller gray caddis appear, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    Colorblindness, well more accurately "colordumbness" as my eye doc puts it, prevents me from doing my own dubbing blending.
    My Doc refers to it as "color vision deficiency". I find that I can tell colors pretty well if I am in direct sunlight, but not otherwise. Too bad, because the wife wants me to relocate my tying to the basement (from our computer desk.)
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Sandfly, where do you buy that??
    Why, from Jack, of course.

That would be Jack Mickievicz. Jack DOES make the best dubbing! Bob and Jack are old friends, and his shop is the best place to find Jack's products. Hint - he makes more than dubbing.....

I have bought dubbing boxes and created my own. The ones I created have exactly the colors I want. I dont use about half of the store bought ones. What I do like about the boxes is they are easy to throw into my travel tying kit when I head north fishing. I dont have to grab several different packages of dubbing I just grab a couple boxes and I am all set.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong..

rvrwader.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread