+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Sage ZXL

Default Thoughts on the Sage ZXL

My very favorite trout rod didn't even belong to me. It was my best friend's and was a Sage SP 5wt 5pc., I believe in 8'9" length. Even when I could cast a fly rod I could cast that one buttery smooth. I'm just wondering if the ZXL in 5wt 8'6" could even come close. I would appreciate any input. Thanks, James

I have a 490-4 ZXL and though I have never fished the SP I do like the action of the ZXL. I find the action to be very smooth and not as deep into the lower section of the rod as the SLT. I also find it to be more forgiving for those with a compact casting stroke.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

The action is much sweeter on the SP but both models are nice fishing tools no doubt. Be hard to find an SP nowaday since everything is gearing to faster actions.

Blog Entries

I have a Sage SP, 9', 6wt, 5pc that I take with me as my back up rod just in case another rod breaks. It is a great rod, I was sorry to see them cease production so many years ago. It handles the large dry flies very well yet can also cast a decent nymphing outfit when necessary.

I also have a Sage ZXL, 9', 6 wt, 4 pc. That is my main dry fly rod for the past few years. I wanted a Sage rod that was as close to a medium action as I could get and Sage suggested the ZXL. I love it. The casting is great for dry flies yet when the wind picks up on those Montana or eastern Washington rivers, and I am casting large Skwala dries or huge hoppers, the rod has the backbone to cut through the wind and still lay down a good cast. The ZXL is a very good rod.

Prior to buying the ZXL I was using my Sage VPS Light, another medium action rod but in a 5 wt. That rod only was in production for a couple of years, but it is another very good dry fly rod. However, when it came to trying to overcome the negative effect of the wind on the rivers with large dry flies it wasn't doing what I wanted it to, but then it was only a 5 wt and I suspect a 6 wt would have done better.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Ditto to what TyroneFly said. I have the 490-4 ZXL. It is very smooth. But I cannot compare it to the SP.

My ZXL is great for light nymphing and can toss dries some distance.

Brian

My go to rod for fishing spring creeks when I can't get the 3 wt. going is the 486-4 ZXL. It's one sweet rod that is not medium in action but is not fast action. This is a medium fast stick. It excels for me at throwing small indie nymph rigs and small dry droppers.

I can't offer a comparison on the SP but I will soon. I picked up that 589-5 stick this winter and am anxious to give it a spin next month.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

Thanks for the info Folks. Sounds like the ZXL should be my next rod. That is, unless Chicago(Mike) hates that 589-5 and decides to hand it over to me. Thanks and God Bless, James

I have been told that the 8.5 4 wt is best in the line up.

I think they are both very comparable. I have both and blind folded I think it would be very tuff to tell the difference. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John 3:16 View Post
    Thanks for the info Folks. Sounds like the ZXL should be my next rod. That is, unless Chicago(Mike) hates that 589-5 and decides to hand it over to me. Thanks and God Bless, James
    I doubt you'll be disappointed in that ZXL, James! FWIW I've heard that the 5 piece SP's are the faster of the SP's. I've lawn cast it (parking lot cast actually here in the city) and I really enjoyed playing around with it.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

+ Reply to Thread