+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellowstone Help Please

Hybrid View

Default Yellowstone Help Please

My son is set to graduate from college in May and when I asked what he wanted for a graduation present he indicated that he might want to go on a special fishing trip. The first thing that comes to my mind is Yellowstone. I've never been there and am just starting to research the area.

So if you were going to spend 5-6 days in the area:
    1. Where would you stay ($50 - $75/night range if possible)
    2. What waters would you fish - Same waters every day or hit a variety? Any lakes?
    3. What time of year would be best to go (I assume the best fishing time will mean the most people - so avoiding crowds would be nice if possible - see #2 above)
    4. The budget can only handle a guided trip for one day, guide recommendations and waters
    5. Should we bring the pontoon boats

Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't fished too many rivers there, but make sure you hit the Henry's Fork just west of the park in Idaho.
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

For lodging at that price and right on the Madison I would recommend Campfire Lodge and Resort. I have parked my camper there each time I have been there. They have a great Cafe' with good food.It is about 18 miles to the Park. Not far to the Gallatin. As was mentioned the Henry's Fork is about forty miles. The Ruby is just about an hour away.
    The time of year late June is good if the water is down. The HF fishes the best in June or Sept. If you fly into Bozeman and rent a car your right on top of fishing.

There is a Spanish Rest. in West Yellowstone called Madriz, true Spanish food, not Mexican.

I prefer Sept and have been there for six weeks for the last four years. A great place for a father son trip.

Depending on how you get there, the Grand Tetons are worth seeing. That's the National Park next door to Yellowstone. If you're researching the area you'll come across it.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

1. Where would you stay ($50 - $75/night range if possible).......$50-75 will be tough and impossible in high season (even $100 is low in high season, June-September). No chance inside the park. Check out www.yellowstonerivermotel.com
    2. What waters would you fish - Same waters every day or hit a variety? Any lakes?.......Definitely fish a variety. That's really the whole point of this area. Bigger fish, better fish of certain species, etc. are all available elsewhere, but not the variety in such a small area. Except Hebgen, lakes are usually an early and late season bet unless you're going high in elevation.
    3. What time of year would be best to go? ------------ Depends on if you can hike or not. If yes, this year, late July. That's when the widest range of waters are fishing well, so even though there's a lot of people, there's more room to spread out, too. If you'd rather stay relatively close to the road, October. September is typically quite busy now until at least the 20th, and with the likely low-normal water levels this year, they will be super-spooky on roadside streams. Prior to the usual equinox storm around the 20th, early-mid September is my least favorite time to guide in the region. I have very in-depth info on flies, hatches, river guides, etc. here: http://parksflyshop.com/howto/planning/planning.html
    4. The budget can only handle a guided trip for one day, guide recommendations and waters: --------------Well, hopefully me or at least someone from my shop. If July, I'd suggest a float on the Yellowstone. If October, either a private lake trip or hunting runner browns on foot in the park.
    5. Should we bring the pontoon boats? --------------- Depends on how much whitewater they can handle, how good you are with them, and when you want to come. In July, I'd say no because the Yellowstone is burly enough that it would be hard to control the boats and fish, and there aren't many places to bank fish, and there's really no reason to fish roadside lakes at that time because the streams are so good. In the fall, yes, though bear in mind you can't use them on flowing water inside the park. Rivers are much lower in the fall and there are a lot more places to get out and fish the riffle corners.

Hope that helps.

Where you go kinda depends on when you go. The Park opens for fishing the last weekend in May; I think the same for the Madison below Quake to Lyon's Bridge. If your there in May/June you'll probably be hitting runoff on a lot of the rivers, but Madison (in the Park and above Beaver Creek)/Firehole/Gibbon should be fishable with good hatches. If you base in West Yellowstone you'll have easy access to those waters; not sure what kind of lodging you can get for $50-75 (Campfire Lodge, as noted, may work for you). My favorite shop is Blue Ribbon http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/ ; great shop, great people. Used a guide from them once and was pleased
    Rivers in the NE end of the park will most likely be either too cold or in puking mud; Yellowstone outside the Park may be fishable.

Congrats to your son, and you.

Regards,
    Scott

ps- looks like Wally put in his 2 cents while I was typing
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-24-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Blog Entries

When I go up to that country, I stay at the TLC Inn on north 7th in Bozeman. Looks kinda shady from the outside, since it sits between a couple chain hotels, but it is clean, comfortable, fairly quiet, with fridge and micro in each room, and they don't mind you getting up at 0 dark 30 to fish. And a week of it will set you back between 3 and 400 for two, depending on season.

I go up that way around the first of April and the end of October, to avoid most of the crowds, but I don't fish inside the park at that time (although I have on occasion). I never bother with the toons but there are places they would come in handy. I would wander around and hit what the reports said was fishing well, but there are so many choices it is hard to recommend any.

If you don't have your heart set on th Park, there are reasonable accomodations and plenty of good water South around Alpine, WY and Northwest around Dillon, MT.

Yellowstone National Park is a spectacular place to enjoy and visit. A person can easily spend four or five days seeing most the major sights in the park and have minimal time in those four or five days to fish. In those four or five days, you will see a lot of people. From my limited experience, however, Yellowstone is not the place to go for a pure fishing trip.

Yellowstone has a lot of places to fish, but it can be incredibly crowded unless you are willing to back pack and camp in the back country. The rivers and lakes in Yellowstone get an incredible amount of fishing pressure. It is also expensive to stay in the park or close to the park if you are not camping. I think that that there are plenty of places in that part of the world where you can find good fishing, enjoy solitude, and stay in reasonably priced accommodations where you are away from tourists and the madding crowds.

BigA,

Sounds like you've had an unpleasant experience in the Park; sorry to hear that but I have to disagree with you. The Park can provide spectacular fishing to go along with the scenery & wildlife. There are times when the crowds can be absolutely awful, but spend a little time hiking, even on some of the name streams and you can have plenty of room to yourself, and the occasional bison, elk, moose, grizz. Just be willing to do a little exploring, get away from the pullouts with 20 cars and you'll be amazed.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread