+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Desk / Table

Hybrid View

Default Fly Tying Desk / Table

I am a man of many hobbies, however Fly-Tying is not one of them, Woodworking is however and I've been commissioned to make a fly-tying desk for a good friend of mine. It's supposed to be a surprise, so I cant ask my buddy for any input, so here I am.

What do you look for in a fly-tying desk?
    What things should I avoid making/doing?
    What should the configuration of the drawers/storage devices be?
    How much storage space do you think you need?
    Working space?
    Any and all input is appreciated.

Respectfully, Mymridon.

You are going to get a lot of ideas.
    I have had at least 4 different tying stations and feel that the questions you ask will be driven in a large part by where he will be tying...amount of available space, etc.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I had this made. You can't see it but on the left side of the desk is a hole which you drop your scraps in and it goes into alittle draw to keep your tying area clean. On the right is a caddy for holding spools and what not. All the dowels come out to arrange as you please. It also has a magnetic strip and various size holes for tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    You are going to get a lot of ideas.
    That's what I'm looking for.

I have had at least 4 different tying stations and feel that the questions you ask will be driven in a large part by where he will be tying...amount of available space, etc.
    He uses a small (and I mean small!) writer's desk currently and his wife asked me to make him something that will give him more room because all of his tying stuff is almost always sprawled about their basement. On of his buddies that he knows personally will be contacting me soon with some ideas, but in the meantime I'd love to hear what you guys think! Right now, I'm thinking of making something with 34"x60" of workspace and loads of drawers for glue/line/wire/spools/etc.

Some beautiful tying desks by one of our own.
    http://www.littlesouthfork.com/
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I really like the computer type desk....especially the keyboard shelf...so much so that I added to this in the closet area I created.

Good Luck

PS: If I were building something I would do something "U" shaped.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 02-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.

I would think that having one large shallow drawer with pegs to store spooled material and thread would be nice. When they are left loose in the drawer they tend to tangle. If he uses a clamp on vise he will need a place to clamp it that doesn't block any of the drawers. An inlay of some harder material so the wood isn't damaged would be good also. Some vertical storage is a good idea. Drawers that are sized to any hold plastic containers he is already using would be handy.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 02-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Second the slide-out drawer aka computer desk keyboard shelf. nice to have something you can slide out of sight.

REPLIES:

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    I would think that having one large shallow drawer with pegs to store spooled material and thread would be nice.
    Planning on this already

An inlay of some harder material so the wood isn't damaged would be good also.
    Ideas on what material or surface? Laminate?

Some vertical storage is a good idea. Drawers that are sized to any hold plastic containers he is already using would be handy.
    Excellent idea!

I really like the computer type desk....especially the keyboard shelf...so much so that I added to this in the closet area I created.

Good Luck

PS: If I were building something I would do something "U" shaped.
    If I were to make the desk U shaped, how much surface space is a must? For instance, if I needed to trade off working area to make it U shaped, how much surface space is required?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I wonder (but don't know) if lining a drawer with cedar sheeting would help to keep bugs away from furs and feathers?
    Can anyone confirm or deny this? Are there a lot of bugs that get into fly tying materials?

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    I would have him (or her) show you the chair they use and figure out the optimum height for the tying surface.
    What's best for you guys right now? His current desk is 22 inches high and I'll be investigating this more as he has a bad back, but I'd love to hear what you guys think/have to say

I would make that surface very sturdy if possible, with a flat top and bottom and no fancy edge if they will ever be using a clamp vise.
    What would you like to see the surface made out of? Melamine? Laminate? (I saw your white board comment later )

I prefer a white (dry erase) board tying surface of a couple square feet (say, 18 deep by 30 wide), so I can see materials, hooks, etc easily, I can write notes on it if needed, and so it will clean up rapidly.
    The whole desk surface as a white board?
    Also, he's been tying for a long time so I'm thinking something like 20 deep and something like 60 wide? What do you guys think?

Drawers would, in a perfect world, include at least some that will hold a full length saddle without folding, spindling, or mutilating.
    Are there any other ways to store a saddle? I think but I'm not sure, that my friend stores them on a round piece of wood using zip ties to attach them around the circumference of the piece of wood. Let me know what you guys think.

Drawers should come out all the way, not partway, and have fairly easily grasped knobs. Brass card holders on the drawer fronts, like library card drawers have, would help labeling while allowing changes without damage.
    Would you guys recommend using metal drawer slides? Or do you prefer something that allows you to pull the drawer out and get into it?

Solid hardwood construction, felt lining in the drawers, cedar lining in at least some if I was building it, to keep the bugs out (the hackle drawers, for instance)... Surface smooth for easy care (polyurethane finish).
    Would the felt lining ruin/interfere with the materials such as feathers/fur?
    And like I mentioned above, can anyone confirm or deny the use of cedar to keep bugs away? And how common are bugs in materials?

Would be easier to show you my dream tying bench if I already had it built. *S*
    http://sketchup.google.com/ You could still show me without building it.

When I get my first design done I'll upload some files/pictures to show you guys what I'm thinking of making.

Thanks so much for all your input guys! It's really helping, I hope you keep the ideas coming!

Respectfully, Mymridon

Mymridon,

I think all the sugestions are great. Just keep in mind that whatever you come up with, will eventually become too small if your friend is really into fly tying. That is just part of the sport of fly tying. With that thought in mind, I would recommend the "Little South" fly tying desk pictured on the home page of the link provided. It would be a good start and not take up too much room. You could always add to it later on as a gift from you by adding a chest of drawers on casters for more storage. The only change I would make to the tying desk pictured is to change from the center drawer to two smaller drawers on each side and that way a clamp-on vise would not block opening the drawer as "rainbow chaser" recommended. Here is the "link" that was provided:

http://www.littlesouthfork.com/
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread