+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what happened here?

Hi Texfly,

Thanks and okay. I'm starting another thread about this and we'll have to see if there's any interest. Hey, I've gotta find a use for those hooks. Just kidding! I've actually hooked and landed 4 trout on 32s.

Allan (and for those who are among the 'old-timers', I was 'tyeflies' back when)

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I am not sure what is meant by 'old-school swap'. The swapmeister sets the rules for his/her swap, and they can certainly specify only correct, classic patterns, materials, or techniques be used. As for quality, I don't think I have ever gotten any sub-standard quality files in any of our swaps. So, as usual, I remain confused.

Anyway, I personally love classic patterns, especially streamers, so anytime anyone wants to host a Classic Pattern Swap, count me in.

Oh boy ... my turn...

I myself lost interest... because of 1 thing!
    Tiers not completing on time.. I too did this a couple of times. every swap I ever joined someone was always late...
    Yes most of us worked at jobs.. thats why we wanted them in a few days before the deadline...

I think it happened once.... all the flies were in a week early and we got the flies before the deadline...

now think about the price of everything.... its going up...BAD!

Also the quality of flies were getting "suck-ish" swappers just didnt give a crap on what their flies looked like..
    there was about 15-20 tiers I always wanted to see in swaps.. I opened a few packages before to get the flies out... a piece of thread would be hanging on the fly.. a quick tug and the whole fly would unwrap.... I always wanted to see new guys in them...

I think a few of us have list on:
    who flies sucked....
    who always opted out...
    who didnt turn anything in...
    who was late hitting the deadline (I know I did this a couple of times... working 2 jobs and guiding)
    who would set up a swap and ~~NOT~~ return any flies.think this happened once with flies and once with a swap box.

But I think my top reason for not doing swaps anymore were quality and prices of material

Blog Entries

We have some openings on the Swap of the Month.
    this killed it for me. i may have misunderstood, but joining for a whole year and making flies once a month for a whole group was way beyond my desires as a casual tyer. after a while all i saw was announcements about swaps of the month, so i quit hanging out.

the couple of swaps i did meister went quite well. i didn't take the no-shows personally, and just carried on with what came in, returning extras to the tyers. worked fine.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I still am confused. The SOTM is just one swap that's been going on for years, and you don't have to join it. Some swaps have had sparse response, but most of the time, when I see a swap I'd like to get in, it's already full.

These are supposed to be fun. If you're gonna get all ballistic over a set of flies coming in a few days late, then maybe swaps just aren't your thing. I mean, it's not like a matter of National Security, or anything if someone has a problem that makes them a little late. We're not punching time-clocks. It's a hobby, and a pass-time. We have some people here who live in Europe, Canada, and other places where the mail is a lot more difficult, and even some places in the U.S. have lousy mail service (like here....).

All I can say is..lighten up a bit. If you don't enjoy the swaps, then start your own, or just don't enter any. It's not like it's a requirement or anything.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We will now return to our regular programming.........

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    this killed it for me. i may have misunderstood, but joining for a whole year and making flies once a month for a whole group was way beyond my desires as a casual tyer. after a while all i saw was announcements about swaps of the month, so i quit hanging out.

the couple of swaps i did meister went quite well. i didn't take the no-shows personally, and just carried on with what came in, returning extras to the tyers. worked fine.

Gig...

In some of my swaps...
    Ive got flies from... Japan, China, 2 from down under, 2 from Europe, and 1 from South America....

Everyone of them were on time.....

I think what got on everyone's nerves... is in almost ever swap someone was late..
    even as a hobby.... you can still sit down and tye a few flies in a hour or so...

I have been in my fair share of swaps.... now I tye for local shops... doing 300- 600 up to 1,000 (yes thats "Hundreds") dozen in the winter months.. Ive even tyed tied for feather-craft.. and Rainy's ( www.rainysflies.com) has picked up one of my flies and is now tying them commercially..
    The PMS (The Pine/Marabou/Streamer)
    http://www.rainysflies.com/Flies/fli...ProductID=3163

Its not that hard to tye a couple of dozen and be done in a week or two....

I don't join because I have no use for trout flies, or steelhead flies, as we don't have trout or steelhead here. And as far as who does particpates, when you make statements that the flies you rec'd "sucked", I would imagine that it would intimidate a new tyer, to the point that they would be leery of getting into a swap.
    I do agree that if you DO participate, you should make sure that you can make the deadline prior to signing up, so everyone will get the flies on time and not have to send repeated e-mails out explaining why nothing has been sent out yet.
    And regarding my first statement, I teach a tying class once a month at a local shop, been doing it for more than 2 years, and we have never tied a freshwater fly in the class, due to an extreme lack of interest in freshwater fly fishng. Not saying no one fishes freshwater, just nobody wants to tie those flies.

For me these past few years have been slow job wise, but the uptick is the time I have with my kids. They are 6 and 8 years of age. It won't be long before they won't have much time for mom and dad so I am taking advantage of the time I do have with them now. I'll eventually get back into more tying and swaps.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, boys, I been outa circulation for several months, just droppin in to lurk a bit from time to time. Been busy with other things, and not much time to tie, or fish. Gettin back to it now, and I see this thread. Well, I'll say, I REALLY enjoy fly swaps. Been in lots of them, and had a good time mostly. My complaint is really only one, and that's swappers being late or dropping out. You gotta take it seriously. I do. I have flies from nearly every state, and all over the world. I catch fish with flies guys in Chile tied.... I truly enjoy this site, and have met fellas I'll correspond with and swap fishin tales and flies with for years to come. Rod swaps too, I really enjoy them, but haven't joined one in a while, 'cause I have more rods than I'll ever need. I hope the swaps continue, and I think, like most things, they kinda go in spells, and we're maybe in a lull now. BTW. I've never gotten a really poor fly in a swap, some maybe a little sloppy, but I often think we're a litttle mor particular than the fish. This much is true... we got some high class members here, and I'm proud to be a part of it. Things change, and I don't particularly like change, but the good folks are why I'm back and why I'll stay.
    .......Modoc Dan

Life events occur. I used to be in the swap of the month, and have been involved in a couple of theme swaps. But now, my fly tying only occurs out of necessity.

I got many great patterns, but I also filled up a box with flies that I am never likely to use. That's part of the reason I have bowed out of them. I don't need another box of frogs, redfish flies, or bonefish flies.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread