+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furling Tolerance

Lightbulb Furling Tolerance

Some folks use one approach to furling, and others use different equipment, methods or techniques.

For example, many use Kathy Scott's method.

I use a very different approach taught by the furled leader guru of the Idaho Falls area at the time.

Regardless of his method, Kaboom uses dramatically different equipment than either Kathy's board or my jig.

I suspect that Jack Hise's approach is different than mine - it is commercial, if nothing else, whereas mine is very personal.

Karel has a foreign approach, for sure.

Steven and aged sage like to be more precise and have devoted a lot of time to a science of furling.

I think all of us have a couple things in common - fly angling with furled leaders and making available to others what we know about furling and how we go about it. Not that any approach is any better than any other approach, not that any method is any worse than any other method, not that any one's equipment preference is superior or inferior to some other equipment preference. Just different.

Once in a while some one interested in furling and sharing his / her ideas might use a word or phrase that rubs others the wrong way, at least some others.

So there might be a reaction. But the time comes to get over it and give it a rest - time for some tolerance.

John
    The fish are always right.

John Again you are the voice of reason reaching out to the masses! But, I have way to much fun fooling with the rocket scientests to listen. Good grief man I'm retired and should be allowed my simple pleasures!

Thought i'd never agree with Jack, but now i do. It's too much fun getting a reaction from the "horse and carriage" people. And now for a serious note, it's way better to argue about furled leaders then about religion, those disputes get way too many people killed around the world.

Karel
    Last edited by karelgol; 02-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Excellent summary Jack.

I 'second' your comment Karel. Incidentally, this 'Rocket Scientist' is well into the final guarter-of-a-century of his life, and has been retired since 1998. This just proves that some of us are never too old to learn something new, like many others; many of whom are much younger, and who are content to stay in the backwater eddy areas.

aged_sage

Default Big furled leader formulas by the creator....

I just sent in 19 articles on tapered furled leader formulas to Deanna Travis and Ron Tidd.

Each article has three furled leader formulas (I crunch numbers) and show all the mathematics is designing each of the leaders in each article. The 18 articles are divided into three group; by their taper (50%, 55 & 60%) Each group has 6 Loop Sequences.

Each article shows all the mathematics involved in determining the peg locations for the three furled leader lengths calculated in each article.

The formula's for peg positioning has a 10% increase of total length included in the calculations for the finished length of the furled leader to compensate for length lost in the furling process. Also include in each article is a graphic display of all segments of the three lengths, showing the parabolic nature of these furled leaders, that help transfer the energy, and limit the hinging effect of the segment connections between the 5 segments of the furled tapered leader,

I have also included a graphic outline of the 3 section furled leader board that I am planning to build as soon as summer arrives to Minnesota. My current 16 foot two section furled leader board is so difficult to setup and even more difficult to store away when not in use....

My Birthday Gift to Members of FAOL....~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-10-2012 at 07:30 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread