+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know where I might find this tool/accessory?

Hybrid View

Default Anybody know where I might find this tool/accessory?

Was hoping for some help finding a particular fly fishing accessory. Kind of a long story that I won't bore you with, but after years of looking at this handy little tool in the catalogs from the merchant linked below, I had a fairly immediate need this week to order one for a friend. As fate would have it, the retailer is out of them right now and for the time being has no idea when they'll be getting them back in. I don't have a manufacturer's name and various attempts to Google descriptions of this thing yield results that are anything but what I'm looking for. Anyway, here's a link to the picture and description: http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=HJ597 If you aren't familiar with it, it's a handy gadget to attach to your vest as a "third hand", with a sort of cross-action clip, similar to the cross action tweezers that many folks use in their fly tying. You press on it and the clip opens, release it and it closes. Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Ty-Rite hook holders are available in two sizes. Just an option for you that functions similarly.

Some hackle pliers and hardware from a wire leader?

I use these at $2.99 each with the ring or 2 for $3.69 without at Radio Shack:

You can buy them here:

http://tinyurl.com/6w6zrxj

http://tinyurl.com/7k8p565

Last edited by Silver Creek; 02-08-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

John N,

I cannot locate anything in a search on the Internet either for you, but, I can offer something that you can do to create something that you may or may not like. With working with disabled vets, one gentleman came up with something very close to what you are looking for to put on lanyards for assisting disabled vets with tying their flies on tippet. It was constructed as follows: He took a spring loaded alligator clip and crimped it onto a short piece ( you determine the length you need) of coated single strand wire. On the opposite end of the coated wire he formed a small loop to which he attached a large swivel. He then used shrink tubing to cover the wire from where it was attached to the swivel down to where it was crimped into the end of the alligator clip. This worked very well and would be very easy for you to make up if you are unable to locate what you are looking for.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

John, that looks like an old artery clamp or at least it's modeled after one. I did a search under "roach clip" thinking it looked like it had those possibilities...but they seem to be missing the boat on that one. LOL ...If you do a search are Artery clamp, you'll get some things that look similar but not exactly the same. That one is more like a cross between and artery clamp and an english hackle plier.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

FOUND IT!!! It's a Swiss Ring Plier

Just Google "Swiss ring plier" and you'll get a lot of places where you can find them.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

John,
    Funny you should mention this tool. The Tie-Rite version of it is my FAVORITE on stream tool. I few years ago started a thread titled " better than sliced bread" aimed at just this gem.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi View Post
    I did a search under "roach clip" thinking it looked like it had those possibilities...
    What is this "roach clip" you speak of? Is that French for hemostat?

NewTyer 1 Guest

I used to know how to make one out of the push button side of a pen and some monofiliment. I' have to see if I can find a how to and post it. Found one but instead of using mono it uses wire.

http://www.silysavg.com/tutorials/streamsidevise.html

+ Reply to Thread