+ Reply to Thread

Thread: guide thread wrapping

Hybrid View

Default guide thread wrapping

is there a preferred direction from where to start the wraps, i.e., from the guide foot to the guide ring or from the ring down along the guide foot?

I like from the the guide foot to the ring.

I agree with Fly Goddess. Wrapping up the ramp allows me to keep the wraps nice and close. If one wraps down the ramp
    loose and not perfect wraps would need to be handled. I like to keep it simple.
    I'd suggest obtaining a carbon fiber arrow from an archery shop. Practice, practice. Not only practice the wrapping but also whatever coating you might want to play with. After practicing one can use a razor blade and cut off all your mess until the next time you practice. Did I mention? Practice??
    Works for me.

Denny

after taking your advice(s), what a great improvement! much thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I agree with Fly Goddess. Wrapping up the ramp allows me to keep the wraps nice and close. If one wraps down the ramp
    loose and not perfect wraps would need to be handled. I like to keep it simple.
    I'd suggest obtaining a carbon fiber arrow from an archery shop. Practice, practice. Not only practice the wrapping but also whatever coating you might want to play with. After practicing one can use a razor blade and cut off all your mess until the next time you practice. Did I mention? Practice??
    Works for me.

Denny
    Great idea - I have an abundance of those in various stages of disrepair. One great thing is they don't bend and I will just cut down the damaged part. Now to practice.

Geoff

Blog Entries

This will also show you the value of guide foot prep.

You might also take an arrow and wrap a couple of .5" sections of various colors on the shaft. Apply color preserver to one of each color pair. Apply finish to all of them. This will give you an idea of what happens with and without color preserver and what you can expect from a certain color of thread.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

yes yes and yes

+ Reply to Thread