+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Reel Question....

I've had about 5 trout reels so far. The first 4 were cheap ones. 3 were just fine for my purposes, but one had a limited range of adjustment on the drag and the drag engaged rather abruptly. The last one is a Battenkill Bar Stock --in your price range and a genuinely nice reel.

I don't catch any more fish with the BBS, but I plan to buy more of them in the future. I'm the type that sticks with a good thing once I've found it. There may be better out there, but I don't take the risk once I've found what satisfies me. Heck, still with my first wife after almost 40 years!

I can only recommend what I have actual experience with. There may be better reels out there in your price range, but I can endorse the BBS as a safe bet.

An older US made Pflueger Medalist 1494 or 1495 is all I ever intend to use for a 5-7wt rod. They range from $15 to $45 on eBay, pawn shops, antique shops, garage sales, etc. They are practically indestructible for fresh and saltwater applications. In earlier years I owned Orvis, Hardy, Lamson, Ross, Cortland and others. I've sold them all for various reasons and am now a diehard Pflueger man.

Randy

I have 1 BBS while my son has 2 we dont have any complaints at all.

------------------

I have reels that are low end and mid to upper end that all work great. But I have found for me, a reel that if you like the way it looks and is pleasing to you as far as color sound etc. It's going to be a better choice, here's why. If you are really pleased with the asthetics as well as the performance then you are going to be happier with that reel longer and take better care of it etc. I know it is mostly pschycological but it works for me. I think some reels are very much like an art piece and sometimes I leave them out on the dresser to not only remind me of past fishing trips and great times but just to look and admire them.

There are always at least two ways to look at things!

------------------
    "A smart man learns from his mistakes,
    A wise man learns from others"

[This message has been edited by cctyer (edited 26 May 2006).]

Hans,

I sell metals for a living. Without getting too technical, here's the difference.
    Bar stock is rolled from a billet under heat and pressure. This compresses the molecules, and ensures a dense, void free composition, wit an even, unidirectional grain structure.

There are different methods of casting, but the basic method is to pour molten aluminum into a mold and let it harden. Die casting is a little better. There the molten aluminum goe into a mold similar to a plastic injection mold, and a more accurate denser part is produced, but it is still inferior to bar stock.

I am not a metalurgist but I do design special purpose machinery for a living and have to agree with flyfisher7.
    Even with bar stock you will find different qualities. Aircraft grade aluminum is probably the best......but expensive.
    Methinks.

------------------
    Cheers
    Bob

OK I made my choice.I purchased a Teton Tioga in the green color.I stopped by a local flyshop and checked one out.They seem to be really well made.Also its a nice looking reel too.I looked a at quite a few reels and I came back to the first one I looked at.There is way too many choices out there.
    I hope I made a good one.
    Thanks for all the advice and good fishing!!

Rich

Rich,
    You won't regret buying the Tioga. They are great reels!
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Rich,
    Indeed, you made a good choice. I have four various Teton reels. Never had a bit of trouble with any of them.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

+ Reply to Thread