+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie questions

Hybrid View

Default Newbie questions

So, I have my eye on a rod building kit from Hook and Hackle, but have a few questions. The rod blank is blue and it comes with blue thread for wrapping the guides, hook keeper, etc. I don't know that I really want to use blue on blue. Is there any 'magic' to the type of thread to use? I have TONS of fly tying thread in assorted colors. Can one use fly tying thread, or is there a 'rod building' specific type that should be used?

My next question is about thread tension devices. I saw mentioned that a book could be used to accomplish this. How exactly does that work? I think I have a good idea how it MIGHT work, but would like a little clarification.

I did search for what tools one might need to build his/her own rod, and the results were pretty slim. So any suggestions as to what tools the beginning builder should get would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Some people have gotten away with using other types of threads with no ill effects, but I personally try to stick with rod building thread myself. The main reason being there is no "magic" to them, but some tying, sewing, and other non rod building threads do contain things such as silicone which will cause some issues with the finish when its time to apply the finish. Not all threads contain silicone, but I never like to tempt it seeing as how rod building thread is 100% safe and comes in a wide variety of colors.

To use a book as a tension device you will simply put the thread spool into something like a small bowl to keep it from rolling all over the place, position it about 1ft or so behind whatever you are wrapping it on, then place a book onto of the thread between the spool and the rod. You can adjust pressure by adding more pages/books till it is the tension you like. Just make sure that everything the thread comes in contact with is clean.

Steve

Also, might be a good idea to review the rod building section here on FAOL. It will answer all your questions. The Hook and Hackle website also has an online brief booklet about how to build a rod. Happy winding
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy80701 View Post
    Also, might be a good idea to review the rod building section here on FAOL. It will answer all your questions. The Hook and Hackle website also has an online brief booklet about how to build a rod. Happy winding
    I did a search on FAOL for what tools I would need and the findings were slim. I'll do another search about thread.

I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Yeah, looked there.

+ Reply to Thread