+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St Croix,what were you thinking!The end of the legend ultra...

Hybrid View

Default St Croix,what were you thinking!The end of the legend ultra...

I just received my 2012 rod book for St.Croix and noticed the legend ultra missing,thought typo,called and sure enough they have discontinued the legend ultra,a rod made since 1998,a staple for a quality mid price rod thoughts were why???I recently sold a galvan ob-2 reel(3-4) and have a loomis 3 weight rod for sale,and now own only a ob-3 spare spool and a legend ultra 8' 5 weight for lake pond fishing,and had thought of buying a 4 for nymph under indicator fishing for bream,well i called back and they had 6 764-4's left and i broke down and bought one before they were gone in hopes my loomis glx 3w will sell.I suspect you will see a revamped rod in a year or two.

I agree with you. I own a couple of Ultra Legends and love them. I wish this line wasn't discontinued.

I suspect they were no longer selling well. My favorite light saltwater rod is a Legend Ultra 4pc 6wt with fighting butt. When I learned that they were being discontinued I started looking for another one to no avail.

This is one discontinued rod that I have not seen discounted. I read somewhere that the replacement is the newer Imperial, which they market as fast action. I have an old brown Imperial which is anything but fast. I also have the LU in a 6wt and find it great for streamer fishing.
    I am considering a 10' 6wt for deep nymphing in stillwater. The new Imperial comes in that configuration. Anyone have any experience with this rod?

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    This is one discontinued rod that I have not seen discounted. I read somewhere that the replacement is the newer Imperial, which they market as fast action. I have an old brown Imperial which is anything but fast. I also have the LU in a 6wt and find it great for streamer fishing.
    I am considering a 10' 6wt for deep nymphing in stillwater. The new Imperial comes in that configuration. Anyone have any experience with this rod?
    Chewy- The new Imperial is built on the burgundy SCIV blank which is a blend of SCIV and SCII graphite. They came out with that blank about a year ago and it's a great blank, I've built a couple dozen rods on the SCIV (New Imperial) blank and actually built myself one in a 9ft 7wt 4pc model as my jerk strip streamer rod because I liked that blank so much. It's a faster action blank that still has a good feel to it rather than an overly stiff feel.

Steve

Imperial is built in mexico according to the book.The legend ultra is made of VI and IV graphite and one thing interesting,my older pre-ipc card that was on the rod says it has a sic stripping guide and tic single foots,the new one says it has alconite strippers and hard chromed guides,if that is the case the older model had better components.By the way st croixs site has a bargain section to the right if anyone is looking one of these,also there is a site tradenstuff.com that has alot of new and used flyfishing gear with many st croixs there.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    I read somewhere that the replacement is the newer Imperial, which they market as fast action.
    Well, if the LU is to be replaced by the fast action Imperial, where does that leave the Avid?

If the 'new' Imperial 9ft, 5wt, 4pc is $200; an Avid is $270; and a L-Elite is $440 ... what is happening in the $355 price point range (where the LU formerly resided)? I don't think the story is over yet - but in the meantime it’s somewhat confusing. Odd that the 'new' LU (whatever it will be called) has not been unveiled.

By the way, I own 2 LU, one Avid and one (older) Imperial - so I am among the dismayed.
    Last edited by Greg H; 02-15-2012 at 02:20 AM.

I was bothered that the OLD Legend Ultra was replaced with the IPC technology. I far preferred (and still do) the pre IPC LUs. Unfortunately, I only have 3 of 'em, but I keep looking.
    I agree...It won't seem like St Croix without Legend Ultras!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread