+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LadyFisher has a Tenkara rod

Hybrid View

Default LadyFisher has a Tenkara rod

This is the thread http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...the-crazy-idea!!

She likes dry flies.
    For those of you who use these flies can you give them ideas?

Rick

How about educating the uninformed. Is there a difference in a Tenkara dry fly and a fly fishing dry fly? I have quite figured out the difference in Tenkara and an extend-o pole.

BTW, all of you guys involved are pretty nice bunch.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

The style of flies used by tenkara fishermen in Japan do look quite a bit different from dry flies as tied here in the U.S. though our style of flies will work just fine on a tenkara rod. http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php?cPath=24 shows some of the Japanese style flies. I have used everything from bluegill poppers to nymphs to micro jigs while fishing with a tenkara rod with good results. The only comment I'd like to add is the lighter the fly the better it will cast.

Most, though not all Japanese tenkara flies are wet flies, intended to be fished just a few inches under the surface. That said, you can certainly fish dries and can fish your favorite dry flies as long as they are not terribly wind resistant (Hewitt skaters are not recommended). I like Hans Weilenmann's CDC & Elk, although any of the Elk Hair Caddis variations will do beautifully. They float well, they are very aerodynamic so they cast easily with a light line, and the fish do seem to like them whether or not there is a hatch going on.

Experiment with the flies you have now. Most will do just fine.
    Tenkara Bum

I like beadhead nymphs. They get deep quicker in slow water. In fast water throw the (reversed hackle wet) fly above the pool and allow the water to take it deep. Purist will say you have to pick one fly pattern and size and just use it. (It is always more fun to be impure)

I have always been a bit of a dry fly bigot, that's just the way I like to fish. Once I started fishing with a fixed-length line system, it just reinforced my bias.

I primarily fish a very simple fly, think an elk hair caddis, minus the elk hair. I like to tie mine with a low grade dry fly hackle. I want a wider, even slightly webby barb. That allows my fly to float, but not to well if I do want to fish the same fly damp.

I don't pretend to know the mindset of the Japanese masters, but speaking for myself, I find very little reason to fish more than a couple of patterns. The key advantage a fixed-length line system provides is the ability for much more precise, and varied styles of presentation. I will always change presentations multiple times before I decide it's time to tie on a new fly. Since I fish a very generic, nondescript fly pattern, I feel if I get the right presentation, I can convince the fish to give my fly a try. Using the flies I do, I can fish at least a couple of different presentations, even in the course of a single cast.

If you stop and think about it, there are at least a couple things that can convince a fish something is a bit of food. It can look like food, or act like food. Changing flies is an effort to find something that looks like food, changing presentation is an effort to make you fly look like food.
    Last edited by pszy22; 02-08-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    Purist will say you have to pick one fly pattern and size and just use it. (It is always more fun to be impure)
    No, they won't say you have to, they'll just say you can.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread