+ Reply to Thread

Thread: was wondering

Default was wondering

so how do people who fish alone manage to take pictures of their prize? Is it possible to keep at bay a fighting fish while not losing an expensive rod and/or camera? Memory is great, but a picture is better. Last time I attempted to do this, I ended up with a wet camera. Is it dexterity? Science? Experience? Or a little of all? Any suggestions on how I can plow through this problem greatly appreciated.

I don't even try unless it's one I take home, then I do it on the lawn. seen too many cameras go swimming.
    Bill

Howdy
    I carry a small 35mm with a 28 mm lens.
    It has a neck cord. I keep in in the top of my waders in a zip lock bag ol shirt pocket.
    When I get the fish to hand I snap a picture of it. If I can slide it up on the shallows where I can place my fly rod along side, or on my Kayak paddle. Some times in a net I lift from the water just long enough to photograph.
    With the camera handy It is east to do.
    ol Al

------------------
    Ol' Flysoup
    Flycasting is as easy as flysoup

You might want to try using one of those disposeable waterproof 35mm cameras or you could do like I do, just don't forget the batteries .
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/000992.html:aafc2]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/000992.html[/url:aafc2]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I use a water resistant Pentax Optio WR43 digi cam & keep it on a coiled tether (Cetacia camera tether with SS 1/4-20 stud) and store it in a zippered compartment of my chest pack and attached to a D-ring on the chest pack.

It is a simple matter of unzipping the pouch, grabbing the tether, pushing a button to energize the camera and them pointing and shooting. Can easily be done wwith one hand. If I drop the camera, the tether stops the fall. If it gets wet-so what. You just have to wipe the lens off. Runs on AA's and takes dozens of images at 4 Megapixels...

My good friend Don had the presence of mind to snap this image. His Cetacia tether saved his cameara; as the wake and splash rolled him out of his surf ski!

Rich

What an amazing picture. That must have been an awesome experience.

You can always take the photo before you land the fish.

Mike B

Oh my God!!! Did he catch that on a size #28 midge? What was the landing time for that critter? Nice pic!!!! Is that a male or female I cant tell.

Seege

I'm not much of a camera buff, but do like taking along one of those waterproof disposables. Not really to take pics of my fish, but of my buddies or family. Also never know when you might see some cool wildlife. With all due respect to Don on the surf ski, that's a little too close to nature.

10. Default

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Sony digicam, but my wife refuses to let me carry it in fear of dropping it in the water. So, this year I'll be keeping a stock of the disposables on hand. I catch 20 inch grayling with consistancy, but no one believes me without the pics to prove it. The river I fish is all catch and release so I have to figure a way to measure the fish and snap a pic without removing the fish from the water. Any one else have this predicament?

+ Reply to Thread