+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2wt Outfit

Quote Originally Posted by Breamchaser View Post
    Rod building is much like fly tying, you can go from mild to wild on equipment if you want
    That's the truth. For the first rod I built my thread tensioning "device" was a heavy book; worked great.

Regards,
    Scott

There have been a considerable amount of rods built with just a cardboard box as the rod holder and a heavy book for a tensioning devise.

I personally dont care for short rods. I tried a lot of them and even longer ones and I settled in between 7-8ft works very well on small streams. Shorter rod will limit your yourself with what you can do in some situations. Even Sage knows that the 000-3wt small stream rods they have marketed for years is right on the money. JMO

Seems like I need to start reading up on rod building. Y'all have me itching to build my own now. Those of you that have given small tips on building here or there throughout this thread had better watch out, I might just be blowing up your inboxes with questions after I start building.

Iv'e got the TFO Lefty Kreh signature series, 6' 2wt. I would HIGHLY recommend that little beauty of a rod. I use a J. Austin Forbes magnesium reel with it. Makes a super combo.

TT.

If you google 2 weight shootout a group in Ohio did a comparison of a over 20 2 weights. It is a little dated but many of the rods haven't changed. I have the TFO signature 6' 2wt as well as a 6'6" Tiger Eye 2/3 wt that I build and I like them both. The tiger eye is a 4 piece which I like and I built it so that makes it top the TFO in my book but the TFO is a good rod and can be had fairly inexpensively. I have an Okuma SLV 2/3 that I use on both rods that I love in this size. I've seen it on sale in a number of places for as low as $40 but you have to be patient and keep looking. Regular price is around $60. If you're interested in building a rod, a short 2wt is a good rod to learn on and a really good rod can be build pretty inexpensively.

I have had an Orvis Superfine 6' 2 weight for several years. I absolutely love it.

The rod is perfect for small brushy streams. I have heard the argument that longer rods are more "versatile", they are but the key is not versatility rather usefulness in a particular situation. The rod fits in tight situations with lots of overhanging trees and brush, it allows full casts where even an extra foot would get you hung up. In open areas the rod has lots of power for lengthy casts if ever needed.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Goduster View Post
    The only thing that I might add to this, is there is no greater satisfaction, than catching a fish on a rod you have built, on a fly that you have tied.
    YUP - - when you have also tied the leader. I don't think I'll ever get around to braiding my own fly line though.

Andrew

I'll add that if I can build a rod, anyone can do it. If you go that route, you will not stop at one rod. And that's okay.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread