Alright, I went fishing for a couple of days this week at the South Holston River in Eastern Tennessee. I've been warned by Rod Champion, local guide and friend, to fish with at least a 5 wt. rod because of the windy conditions and big fish. But I really wanted to see what a nice fish felt like on my 3 wt. I found out Thursday afternoon. Sulfurs were coming off and I brought to net about a dozen nice 'uns. (There are rainbows in this system that seem to have some steelhead in them by the looks of them -- and they are souped-up -- we call them Holston Rockets; I suspect a bonefish would fight similarly) I then threw out and at the end of a long drift "slurp"; I set the hook and the water exploded. I couldn't move the fish as it was simply shaking it's head for about 30 seconds. Then it swam straight to me and got within 12 feet, turned right for about 6 feet, then turned right where I could see it broadside and I do believe the fish had a smirk on his face ( maybe it was because he could see the look on mine)He swam slowly for about 25 feet then hit the jets, made two loops around a rock and was gone. I knew when I hooked him this would be the probable outcome for several reasons. One: 7x tippet
Two: 3 wt rod ( I pulled and nothing happened)
Three: my inexperience; I know the more I fish the better I will be able to judge the tolerance of 7x tippet material (Rio)
Four: the fish was huge : 30-32 inches

I'm all ears, I'm teachable, tell me if I could have done anything different.

In retrospect, I'm not sure if I could have handled that fish on my 8wt with a 2x tippet. I just don't know about these things. I have caught a 21 inch rainbow on the 3wt but the fish I lost a couple of days ago had a real nasty attitude when it came right down to it. I've spent the last couple of days trying to convince myself (to no avail)that it will happen again. But I'm not so sure of that. Doesn't really matter all that much. A picture would have been nice but I'll not be forgetting this experience anytime soon.

I realize some of you have caught and landed fish equal to this and even far bigger, but for me it was a great experience. And there really is a challenge using the 7x tippet.

Thanks,
Greg