Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
A wonderful thread and so timely. I was told by my doctor last week to start monitoring my blood sugar. I currently control it poorly with diet and exercise. After reading most of this thread (some posts were not made at the time of 1st reading) I discussed types of testing devices with my pharmacist and decided on the Bayer Contour model. I have been using it for a couple of days now and I am already learning a little about what I am doing wrong and what I am doing right. I do exercise although I can improve on what I am doing; mostly increase the frequency of exercising. My diet isn't as good as my exercise plan so with the help to my new little meter and some diligent reading I will learn to improve the diet also. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It helps to know others are learning to deal with diabetes and how to live with it along with me.
The big thing is to count the carbohydrates but don't just count them learn the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. The two different types impact you body differently. Simple carbs like white bread, any potato product, pastas, sugar, etc...are easy for the body to rapidly convert to glucose. They are mostly converted right in the mouth, never reaching the gut and therefore immediately impacting blood serum glucose levels. These are the carbs you need to cut down the most.

Complex carbs like sweet potatoes (without the sugar glaze) some whole grain wheat breads, most fruits, nuts and berries are what they call complex carbs. Complex carbs must enter the gut to be fully converted over to blood glucose. That means they are broken down and enter the blood stream at a much slower rate than the simple carbs. This allows you meds to work more thoroughly and have more time to do it. Complex carbs will normally have a slower impact and are therefore easier for the body, with proper medication and exercise, to handle.

My doc said here is the deal with the exercise. Brisk walk 2 miles every other day or the equivalent that keeps the heart rate elevated for 20 - 30 minutes. That's the base line. Some of us need more but even the minimum is better than nothing at all. If lifting weights, treadmill, aerobics, calisthenics, swimming, bicycling, rowing are your thing then go for it. The first two guides on this page are essential. I printed mine out so I have them on hand when I am not at home but now i have most of it memorized:

http://www.lillydiabetes.com/Pages/d...materials.aspx

Here is another great diabetes site:

http://www.diabetes.org/?loc=logo

Now here is the big thing; We can all tell you how we control our diabetes but it is different for each individual person. The chemistry of your body is unique to your body. Food that drives my glucose levels up may not affect you or affect you as much. Foods that you cannot tolerate my be fine for me. Same with the type and amount of exercise. Keep close track of what you eat, how much and how often you eat, how much you exercise and what type, the amount of your meds you take and when taken along with your glucoes readings. Your going to have to experiment to see what works best for you but this will give you and the doctors the tools you need to maintain a healthy control of your glucose levels. Your doc will monitor something called A1c or the level of glycated hemaglobin in your blood every 2 - 3 months. Your A1C goal will probably be 7 or less.

Feel free to PM me anytime you need to. That goes for everyone here.