+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: What best testor for new diabetic?

Default Off Topic: What best testor for new diabetic?

Many ads everywhere. Some say do not need to puncture your finger anymore. They say nothing else. They need blood to test don't they? Are they simply avoiding explaining that you puncture you arm instead?

I want to purchase a glucose testor under Medicare. But don't know which one to get. I have forgotten the members on here who have disclosed they have diabetes. So I just wanna ask the whole community which tester to get.

tks in advance

Jim

Almost all testers do not require a finger poke. And yes you poke someplace and draw blood. I use the one touch ultra and like it, but I have never used anything else. Rite Aid has some great sales on meters once in a while (over 50% off) so keep your eyes open. Also some meters will conect to your computer and download the info. I use a monthly planner to keep a daily record to take to the Dr. so he can see what I'm doing. Best of luck with your testing and treatment.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Hey it isn't near as bad to test as it used to be. today's meters require such a small amount of blood that you can lightly stick the sides of your finger, your arm, your abdomen, heck even your thigh. I have used a few meters and I found my favorite to be the Bayer Contour USB meter. It is compact, rugged (it goes fly fishing, hiking, hunting with me) as tested by me personally, easy to use, easy to read, doesn't require entering a code from the packet of stirps (called "coding"). You can either get your readings right on the meter or you and or the doc can plug it into a PC port to generate al kinds of charts/graphs to help you understand management of your diabetes.

Chek it out here:

http://www.bayercontour.com/Blood-Gl...FUETNAodETgq7A

Just because I like a meter doesn't mean that you will. I would ask you doctor to give you one for free. They get samples given to them all the time by the manufacturers just to give to patients. I actually have two freebies as backup meters incase we have a failure. Get something that is comfortable for you to hold and easy to read the display. Mine is about the size of a good folded pocket knife with an LED dispaly that I can adjust the brightness on. It also has a LED light around the slot for the test strip that you can turn on and off. Really nice to have if you have to test while you are camping, hunting or fishing in the dark or low light.

Big thing is do not go without a meter. If you need one I will send you one of my spares so you don't have to buy one. Just PM me your address.

Another must have for you is a wallet card that identifies you as a diabetic also showing what type of diabetes you have. You may want to consider a bracelet, necklace or other type of hardware that easily tells the EMS you are a diabetic. You can get them at reasonable prices on Amazon.com

Any questions or anyway I can help you just shoot me a PM and consider it done. Remember that now a day's diabetes is not the death sentence it once was. With a proper low carb diet, moderate exercise (going for a walk in the evenings) monitoring your glucose levels by using your meter to test, you will live a normal healthy life. It's like my doc says we aren't asking you to stop living just live smartly. If you want a cheeseburger for lunch then eat a salad for dinner.

almost forgot here is a really good site for you:

http://www.lillydiabetes.com/Pages/index.aspx

Book mark it as there is lots and lots of very helpful information there.

God Bless. I am praying for you and here to help.

Eric
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 02-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.

All pretty much the same to me. Check with your doc, they give them away, cause the meter companies make thier dinero on the test strips...and once you have their meter, they know they got you. Strips are usu. covered by prescription insurance, which is something I didn't know at first, so check that out as well.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I'm with Eric on this I have the "Countour USB" and have never used the alternate site attachment just use a small poke on a different finger each day.
    Also You dont have to buy a Proprietery cord(thats expensive) to download Your results.
    PM Me if I can Help in trying to answer any questions.
    Bill

Default Freestyle Lite

I think the Freestyle Lite is best.

I use the "CLever Choice" talking meter. you do not have to buy one, there are a number of Companies that will give you one free and bill Medicare. All have different meters, but all do essentially the same thing! The alternate site thing is a gimmick. You still have to poke youself somewhere! All the new meters require only a minute speck of blood from some site.The features you want are no code, self dating and recording, talking if you have poor vision. I would reccomend you go to Walgreens or another of the big box dug stores ( Rite aid, Walmart, Safe way etc ) and look at all the meters and compare features and select the one you like. If it becomes known that you are diabetic, all of the Medicare suppliers ( Direct DIabetic source,Arriva Etc ) will inundate you with phone calls and offers of free products including blood pressure monitors, Dia betic socks etc. Negotiate with them and find the one that provides you with the type of meter that you have selected. All of the above advice is very, very good, but the choice of a meter is a very personal thing and should be made by you after appropriate research. Almost all diabetic supplies are a medicare benefit, so don't buy anything you can get as a benefit.
    HAPPY TESTING
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

You seem to have gotten lots of advice on your needs, that's good. Ask your doctor's advice and also your pharmasist(sp) they will be a wealth of info. Bottom it's YOUR health, take good care of it and follow doctors orders. If your overweight start losing weight slowly, check blood/sugar and work at it. Get out and excercise, casting arm is good excercise and fun. Take care, keepus in the loop, John.

A lot of great information. I respect and appreciate all of it.

I live alone in the country where neighbors are not close by. Ten miles from a small town....which itself is a 3.5 hour drive one way to major Metro Phoenix. Point being I don't get to talk to many people often about any subject.

My doc said I was diabetic...did not say pre-diabetic, or Type I or Type II. He said the first thing to do was bring down weight, cholesterol, and tri..etc's. He wrote a script for Metaforum or something like that and said come back to see him in 3 months. I misplaced the script and never sent it in. But I have managed to lose 18 pounds. Guess that is an 18 lb bowling ball that I was carrying around 24/7 that I don't have to pack around anymore. Don't know why but weight ballooned after wife passed. Doesn't make sense to me...I am not eating as well nor as much. I have heard sorrow can cause change in metabolism.

Anyway....I just look at things as if the cup is half full. So I figure this is the best thing to ever happen to me in old age. I will have to change my food intake and exercise. So I am now forced to address health issues and step up to the plate. I'll probably be healthier.....Lord knows I could use some of that......and feel better with a new way of life.

Thank you Desertman, Nighthawk, Maodiver, Bdesavage, BSwan, Paddy80701 and Breamchaser for reading one of my posts.....and taking the time to reply.

Reckon I got all the help I need.....right on HERE!

Thanks

Jim
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 02-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Get the metformin. Take it as prescribed. It helps regulate the sugar you can't. The doc will tell you to stop if needed. Kidney failure sucks
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread