+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first fly rod and reel ?

Hybrid View

Default My first fly rod and reel ?

Getting my first Fly Rod and Reel set up , looking for some guidance . Been looking at the TFO combo's , good choice ? Thanks for any help .

The TFO combos are quality products RiverEagle. You won't go wrong. I have 3! Which one are you looking at?
    And they are a sponsor of this site.

If you're buying from a shop ask to test it out, just to make sure you like the feel.

Regards,
    Scott

I would recommend a 4 weight rod with a weight forward line so you can pratice more and longer with out getting worn out like you could with a heavier outfit. As far as which brand , until your casting stroke developes , which will change over time with practice , its a crap shoot. One of my favorite rod's cost 30 buck's. For what ever reason it just fit's my casting style. I cast one rod that was the latest , greatest and most expensive but for me it was like a broom. There are a lot of rod's out there that cost more for a reason , built better with better material's but that does not mean they can transform your cast like magic. I guess I would say cast and test every rod you can get your hand's on without having to buy it until you find one that feel's right.

I would choose a combo based on the biggest flies I was planning on using and the biggest fish I was going after. You can extend the leader and fish #22 dry flies with a nine weight rod but very few people can cast a weighted 1/0 streamer with a two weight. After saying that I would add that lighter rods are more fun for average size fish and flies. I had a chance to cast one of the scientific anglers 4 piece starter outfits last fall. I think they are a great deal for the price. The best price we found was at troutlet.com, another sponsor. If you have access to a fly shop it might be worth the extra money to go in and tell them you are a beginner. Hopefully they will go outside with you and help you with how to cast as well as choosing a rod.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I've owned TFO stuff before. Bottom line, they make good stuff. Mine was a 9' 4 piece, 4 weight Professional model. I'm sorry I sold it.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Talked with the fly shop gentleman at the bass pro shop about a few of the different TFO , Sage , St.Croix rods and combo's TFO Pro-2 , Signature-2 and a couple others . Will be able to actually set up the various combos and take them out side and see which feels the best to me , as he said to me it will be your rod , he does fish a couple of the TFO rods himself and spoke very highly of them as well . Talked about a 9' 5wght 4pc w/ a BVK reel , backing weight forward line case all this comes with the TFO combos, as well as a couple sage combos . I do know the guy as well so that will be a plus , he also stated that we will go over the various actions and dosen't want to set me up with a broom stick or a buggy whip . So next good weather we have get to go play and see what I can come up with . Thanks to all for your help as well .

TFO combos are very good values and perform well. TFO has great warranty service too if you ever need it.

RiverEagle,

Don't know your budget, but I would recommend looking at the Sage Vantage outfit. They come in 5, 6 or 8 wt with tube, 1650 or 1680 reel and weighted-forward flyline. Sage also makes their Flight series in a combo as well. Checkout their website at http://www.sageflyfish.com/
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread