+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Fly Why ?

I don't know if it was the number of fly's Ed left in "Charlie" or if was do the the untold stress of pulling the fly's out of "Charlie", it may even have been the high volume of the release from Normandy Dam that took "Charlie" down Though we lost a good friend on the Duck River Ed's fly's were harvested and will be put to good use by the boys at Arrowhead Ranch.
    Next time you're down this way Ed I'll introduce you to "Charline", she'll just eat your fly's up!!

Never really thought about it. I just tie what I like and buy what I like and throw it out there where I want and the fish will sometimes hit if he's there. No big deal. You like fancy flies, then use fancy flies. You like boo or glass, then use boo or glass. Again, no big deal. But don't you dare violate or be unkind to another angler. That would get my shorts in a knot.

Bob
    Last edited by Bobinmich; 02-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Andy, this is a great thread and a good discussion. All it needs is to be around a really big kitchen table with some good eats and a few beverages to be complete. Those are beautiful flies, and someday I'll tie up something that good! Thanks for getting this started.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I've been tying for two years, and it's developed into an entirely separate hobby for me. I really enjoy tying almost as much as I do fishing. That said, there have been many times when I'll take a fly I'm really proud of to a stream and lose it to a tree ON THE FIRST CAST! Since I usually fish alone, there's no one around to see me cry, but losing flies goes with the territory.

I don't tie to save money, and although I'm proud of the progress I've made in the last couple of years ( and I do really try to get a pattern "right") I'll never be the guy who is super-fussy. That's fine if that's you're thing, but to me, that way leads to disappointment. I'm curious about the super-realistic flies, but I have my doubts as to whether they're any more productive.

There have been some great responses to this thread! One last point: I've always loved fishing partially because it's a great equalizer. The rich guy with a zillion dollars in his gear may be no better off than the common man who bought an inexpensive setup and fishes a crappy wooly bugger. It's about learning, practicing, thinking, reading, talking, and reading forums like this, not blowing a ton of dough!

I don't have a rod that I've paid over $1oo for, or a reel that I've paid over $50 for. I use Cortland line and a good tippet (to me the most important part). I have paid up to $2.50 for a fly but like to tie my own or look for a good deal and use cheap flies around trees.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

I generally tie my own still water flies. Everything else I buy. I try to find local tiers and buy directly. Gotta support the local economy you know. I won't buy from a shop that is not a fly shop, meaning I won't buy from catalogs or chain stores. I keep it simple, but quality means a lot to me. Honestly I don't tie flies well enough to sell or start relying exclusively on my own creations. I will pay good money for good flies because I believe that they are the last thing in the whole presentation and the only thing the fish should see.

Loufly

Funny; I have a segment of Fly Fish TV taped from some years back featuring Dave Whitlock and Flip Pallot fishing the White River in Arkansas. In a section of Flip's narrative he states, "....and, Dave doesn't get fancy with the flies he uses, he (Dave) says any skuzzy critter a fish will take is just fine..." Thus, the Whitlock "near nuff Skulpin", "near nuff Crawdad", etc.

I've found that a black Wooly Bugger and a Popper are all I need for a days fishing.

Simplify and then simplify again.

Jim

Hi Andy,

Good to hear you're posting here. I have about a dozen rods that I built and each one cost me less than $50. They are far from works of art but they are functional way beyond my investment. I've actually watched as a quality caster put a line from one of these (a 9' 5wt) out a measured 123 feet. My point is that sometimes the quality isn't easy to see. So, in answer to your question, there are obviously fly fishers who look at different aspects of this sport and measure different qualities differently. Maybe some of us would rather catch a few trout and have the fly fall apart, put on another fly and continue to catch trout rather than put on a durable fly that doesn't attract any trout. This is a discussion that probably started at the turn of the century, not this one but the one before (-: and it will continue as long as there is fly fishing and fishers still tye flies. Ain'tt it great?

Maybe we can discuss this further in a week and a half at the Museum?

Allan

While I can't say that I consider my trout flies works of art, I can say that I fuss way too much over them> I take my time tying (far more than I probably should per fly) each one and sometimes spend a moment admiring them when I have become competent with a new technique. I never got into the whole winged wet thing as it frustrates me after spending a bunch of time trying to get the wing right, only to have the wing shreded ater the first fish. I love to tye soft hackled wets, and I try to focus on correct proportions of the flies. Getting most trout flies right means the proper proportions must be right to be presented with a convincing profile that would compare well to the naturals. Someone mentioned Presentation earlier and I can't agree more. Presentation skill requires the ability to read a stream and the ability to make good casts. Nearly as important is what to do with the fly on the drift, ie when and how to mend line. There are so many skills involved with fly fishing that I could continue ad-infinitum.

So essentially I agree with Andy when he says that we should fish with our best efforts from the bench, and maintain a measure of pride in our product. This is all a subjective matter of what brings personal satisfaction to each individual fisherman. I tie all my own flies, and fish all my own flies with the exception of a few friends flies that have been shared with me. I often give flies away to those who are less familiar with fishing a given piece of water. I certainly wouldn't want to give them junk! I respect my quarry too, and I am not about to present them junk either!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

NewTyer 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I tie my own flies also. After spending those (to me) ridiculous prices for hardware (rods, reels & lines) I don't have any money left for quality tied flies. Shoot, I don't even have enough for those ridiculously priced pieces of hardware. I think that like many other industries, fly fishing in general has priced a great deal of the middle class out of the market. When I was working, or when I had a financial windfall, I'd splurge and get a nice rod or reel. I even spent $60 one time for a fly line. WHEW! Now that I've been forced into retirement, like a lot of other people, the only equipment I use is either cheap or given to me. It's sad too, because I believe the current market trend has lent itself to the notion of fly fishing being an elitists sport, when it should be for the common man.
    Wow! Looks like a can of worms (or flies as it were) was opened here. Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.
    I can appreciate what you have said about the sport being not for the common man. I have been out of work since 2009 and now go to school full-time thanks to the military. I live on a modest pension and stipend and although I have some of what I consider, nice outfits within my means I also found a set up that works as good if not better than my more expensive outfits. It is the Eagle Claw Featherweight fiberglass rod which cost less than $25 and an old Phlueger(sorry for the spelling, I can never remember how to spell it) 1495 reel. The whole setup with rod,reel,line,backing and leader was less than $75 which I consider an extremely good deal. Is it top of the line? No. Does it work? Yep. So I guess it all boils down to what works and what we can afford. If there's anything you need and I can help you out, let me know

+ Reply to Thread