+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fly Why ?

Hybrid View

Default A Fly Why ?

I am a fly tyer, my name is Andy Brasko. My question to this board comes after this short intro story the leads into my question:

A fly fisherman will go out and look at all the rods that are available to him. Based on budget and feel this purchas could be between $200 - $775 now adays. Then of Course the fly fisherman wants to balance out the rod with a nice new looking reel which could go again based on ones budget from $50 - $500 easy. Now the fly fisherman decides that he needs a really good fly line to complimnet his rod and reel selection, so he spends anywhere from $29.99 - $99.99. Okay we have the rod, reel, line and just one more thing to get some leaders and tippet. So about $2.59 - $5.99 is spent on the leader and again on a spool of tippet. Now in this process the fly fisherman has taken his time selecting and seeing what feels right and looks appeasing to his eye. So now it comes down to the flies. Some people look at the sign in the shop to see what might be just working and go and buy a handfull of flies. Others look for their favorites that they know will work. Others do not know what is good and will work or take the time to read and buy what they think looks buggy/fish catchers. Next, there are others that decide to go the route of the internet to get flies cheap and in bulk. Lastly there are the fly tyers. Some who want quick and easy fast tyes, Others that want well constructed flies and looks that match a species in ones local stream then there are nuts like me that wants quality, looks well built and of course a piece of art work. Okay enough. let's get to the question:

Why is it that a person will buy an expensive rod, reel, fly line and leaders and tippet material and scrimp or do not care on the part of the whole outfit the catches the fish (The FLY)?

I cannot answer this question becasue my philosophy is that a well constructed fly that looks like a work of art should be fished on your outfit. Not some $0.99 fly that was found by uncle cheach at the blueberry fly website.. So back to my question, what is your take on this when you see my write up and question. I thought this would be a very interesting topic that would generate a really good thread.

Sincerely
    Andy Brasko
    Genuine Wet Fly Tyer & Fisherman
    Last edited by Fontinalis; 01-31-2012 at 01:10 PM.

In my case it is because that fly is going to be hanging in a tree VERY SOON!

As you can tell by my user name, Royce stole my answer
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    In my case it is because that fly is going to be hanging in a tree VERY SOON!
    <ding><ding><ding><ding><ding><ding><ding>
    We have a winner!

I've never left a rod, reel, or line (other than leader) in a tree. I can't tell you how many flies I've left. Why "Charlie" on the Duck River alone held so many of my flies that it ended up falling into the river in the next, big rain. Just ask Jack Hise.

Ed

5. Default

We're not 'cheap'. We're 'frugal'!
    Part of the game, for me, is to find serviceable equipment at a reasonable price. Being on a so called fixed income The option of being extravagent is not there any more.

Quote Originally Posted by shortcaster View Post
    We're not 'cheap'. We're 'frugal'!
    Part of the game, for me, is to find serviceable equipment at a reasonable price. Being on a so called fixed income The option of being extravagent is not there any more.
    I think that this is something that is easily overlooked in the glare of all the high-end equipment that is available...you don't need it to enjoy fly fishing. Certainly, it adds something very real to the sport for many, and more power to them, but the secret is that you can fly fish on a budget quite nicely.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I've said on more than one occasion..."if I tie a (dry) fly for you, it will have wings...if I tie a fly for myself, it won't". The top view of the fly catches the fisherman the bottom view catches the fish.
    IMHO, it's good practice to hold a potential purchase (or fresh tie) up to the light and see how the profile compares to what you think the fish sees.

cheers,
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

We have to draw the line on our spending somewhere.

I generally tie my own flies and while I don't consider mine works of art, the fish seem to like them enough to strike.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I tied a fly today
    I chose the material with care
    There was fur and feathers and hair
    Placed on the hook just the right way
    All chosen to mimic the fish's prey

I tried to tie the perfect fly
    None of hook was left bare
    And everything showed great care
    But tomorrow I'll sigh
    And hope the fish has a kinder eye
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

As Lou said above fly fishing and tying is a personal thing. I take it personally when a tree reaches out and grabs one of my flies, especially it has been working. A few years ago Orvis came out with a little item that caught my eye, but the idea of spending about $12 with shipping and handling did not appeal to me. So I took my redneck engineering skills and made up several for me and my friends.

To make it work, insert your rod tip in the while cylinder, unwind the line and leave the white foam attached (you will need that when the hook drops in the water); place the hook over the limb that grabbed your fly. Carefully apply tension. Grasp the limb, remove the hook you intentionally put on the limb and the hook you accidentally put on the limb. The rest is up to you, you can stand there and hold the limb or go fishing.
    Go get it.jpg
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 02-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread