Rather interesting Steven. I certainly could look into trying the Daiichi 1180 since I tie with Daiichi anyway and experiment with a design where the wing cover would be at the bottom of the fly. BTW, the fish that I fish for are very smart and Finnicky (especially the large ones). My pattern works period (and on smart fish Steven). It became a go-to pattern (especially in the White Mountains) and was a big seller in the Tight Lines Fly Shop. There are a lot of beautiful flies out there that only catch fishermen (and women). I tie and design patterns that catch fish (very smart fish).
If that was not the truth, I would not be a Signature Fly Designer !!! The proof is on the water (don't knock it till you have tried it). You may even want to read Charlie Meck's article in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing guide concerning my Hydro-Psycho Caddis Larva. If you want to start fishing for smart fish insted of stupid fish you may want to fish some place else other then Chicago (there are plenty of locations with very smart fish; I'm sure a lot of the people on this site can tell you of some, and you are always welcome to visit the Arizona White Mountains; the best kept Fly Fishing secret in North America.......especially during the Winter months when you are freezing your butt off there in the Windy City. Come to think of it, the Steelhead up that way are pretty smart fish that does require freezing your butt off a bit LOL) !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I'm not doubting your street cred, but I'm not the first to notice this. In Good Flies, Gierach touts the use of the Daiichi 1180 (I think it was the 1180) which has a curved shank that puts the eyes below the hook eye. Whatever the physics, apparently the fly doesn't turn over.

I often look at damsel fly patterns and think to myself that the wing cover should be on the "bottom" of the fly. That the fly still "works" may just reflect that fish ain't that smart.